mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Edge 500 uploads do not match

I uploaded a ride yesterday to my Garmin Training Center file. On my Garmin Edge 500 unit it shows the ride distance as 140 miles. On the training center it shows the distance as 139 and some change. No big deal but when you look at the map it shows the ride stopping at 113 miles. I then exported both file types and tried to upload each to Strava. The distance that uploaded to Strava was only 113 miles as well and it did not matter whether I uloaded the file or downloaded to Strava straight from the Edge 500 unit even though the unit shows the distance of 140 miles. I know it was 140 because a friend who completed the ride with me also loaded his to Strava and his loaded as 141 miles since he lives a mile further away from the rail trail we started on.

Any thoughts on this one?

here's my guess, because I've seen it on two other GPS receivers. check your track points. I will suppose that you overran your 10,000 track point limit. when that happens, my Oregon 450 starts auto-archiving the beginning parts in 2000 track point intervals.

so what winds up happening is that my active log will contain the bulk of the ride, but some portion will be autoarchived in 1 or more .gpx files in the archive folder on the GPS and won't get downloaded with the active log. I have to download those segments manually, and then piece them back together with the part that did get downloaded.

The Edge 705 I had before would do something similar with the autoarchiving process.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks. I wonder if I ran out of trackpoints because I have it on every second tracking. How do I merge the archived files?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    Thanks. I wonder if I ran out of trackpoints because I have it on every second tracking. How do I merge the archived files?
    yeah. a ride of over 100mi would definitely overrun the point limit on 1sec recording.

how to merge them depends on the software. I use topofusion and there's a merge tool where I just click on the segments in the correct order and the program assembles them. not sure if garmin training center can do it, but there are going to be plenty of options out there if it cannot.

now, I'm going to guess you have a speed/cad sensor paired with your Edge (which explains why training center had the distance about right)? I will also assume that this was a road ride since your track segment on Strava still has 113mi in it?

sheep in FOX clothing
    Word.

The Internetz say: Active tracklog holds 13000 trackpoints... you'll burn through that in just over 3.5 hours on one-second recording.

Note to self for next long road ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Word.

The Internetz say: Active tracklog holds 13000 trackpoints... you'll burn through that in just over 3.5 hours on one-second recording.

Note to self for next long road ride.
    I regularly burn through 10,000 track points on my weekend mtb rides. hadn't noticed the edge 500 has a 13,000 point active log, though. good to know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    yeah. a ride of over 100mi would definitely overrun the point limit on 1sec recording.

how to merge them depends on the software. I use topofusion and there's a merge tool where I just click on the segments in the correct order and the program assembles them. not sure if garmin training center can do it, but there are going to be plenty of options out there if it cannot.

now, I'm going to guess you have a speed/cad sensor paired with your Edge (which explains why training center had the distance about right)? I will also assume that this was a road ride since your track segment on Strava still has 113mi in it?
    We were actually on mountain bikes and I did not have a speed/cad sensor paired. Thanks for all the helpful information. I am going to mess around with this tonight and see if I can figure it out.

We were actually on mountain bikes and I did not have a speed/cad sensor paired. Thanks for all the helpful information. I am going to mess around with this tonight and see if I can figure it out.
    interesting, then, how GTC showed different distance. I wonder how it calculated things. the GPS obviously just kept a running total even counting the parts that probably got autoarchived.

much props for doing a 140mi mtb ride. was that a single day's total?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    interesting, then, how GTC showed different distance. I wonder how it calculated things. the GPS obviously just kept a running total even counting the parts that probably got autoarchived.

much props for doing a 140mi mtb ride. was that a single day's total?
    It was single day. We rolled out of Grand Rapids Michigan and up the White Pine Trail to Cadillac. The White Pine is 92 miles of rail trail part paved and part crushed gravel. It was 112 miles to Cadillac from our homes. Then on to Fife Lake taking back roads with a mix of paved and dirt roads. We had a great time. Thanks for the acknowledgement. At the age of 44 it feels great to be able to complete a ride like that and still feel good afterward.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Alright, scratch the 13,000 trackpoint maximum number, I had 1-second tracking on for this ride:

Bike Ride Profile | Hell of the North near Goodwood | Times and Records | Strava

And it laid down 13,505 trackpoints. And that was logging cadence and HRM too.

So whatever the limit is, it's higher than 13,505. Cannot find it documented online.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have an Oregon 450 and have had some continuous rides turn into segmented files for no apparent reason.

Quick and dirty way I've merged the multiple files is to open both(all) .gpx files in notepad. After a brief look at the data coding you can the see system and how it repeats. I just copied and pasted the segmented coordinate data into one larger file. Make copies of the original files before you start to be safe.