Vegan Athlete

Edge 305 - Start/Stop Button not working

I believe this started when I put my Garmin in my jersey pocket with some spent gu packets. Some gu got around the button, I cleaned it a bit. The next time I used it the button was stuck in the down position, I pushed it real hard and it would start recording. Been a few weeks now, cleaned all the gu out and the button moves freely, however, it's not starting / stopping. I can get it to start/stop one out of 30 tries when I put way too much pressure on it.
    I took the button off just now (the unit is way over warranty period) and cleaned everything. I used a paper clip to push the actual metal switch. It requires a lot of pressure to work and doesn't always work.
    My conclusion is that the button is working just fine but the electrical switch has been damaged / pushed in too far. Any ideas on how to fix myself before spending the $$ to send it back to Garmin?
    Btw, i'm not an electrical engineer and I don't think I can find my soldering iron, i'm just not going there.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    If its one of those cell switches with the rubber thing that makes the contacts like in household phones and remote controls, then they just wear out. It may be done.

When my buttons stopped working it was dirt in the button area. Took a damp cloth and moistened the area and wiped it clean. started working again.

I don't think goo could have gotten inside your unit.

trail rat
    Contact Garmin support. They seem to have an out of warranty replacement of $99.00 from posts I have seen here. Others have crashed and broken them with the rear hatch and gotton replacements.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Vegan Athlete
    I called and they are sending me a replacement for $69. Not that I have the money, but i'm glad to have one that will be working.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    I called and they are sending me a replacement for $69. Not that I have the money, but i'm glad to have one that will be working.
    We probably could have saved you some $$$ had you first removed the button carefully and cleaned around it underneath before jamming it... As you found out, the buttons can be pried loose very carefully.

$69 is a new lower price for a replacement. Was this the new price from Garmin for a replacement refurb unit? Please advise.

At least you're going to be up and running. Good news!!!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Vegan Athlete
    Yea, it's $69 for a refurb unit. I sent one back about 14 months ago also because the common battery problem, when the unit would just shut off randomly. The tech I spoke with on the phone said that because it had been just about a year he'd knock $30 off the price of the refurb.
    I won't make the mistake of putting the gps in the same pocket as the gu packets in the future.

GeoMan
    It's called Gu for a reason... LOL!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com