Don't look back ....

EDGE 305 Speed Sensor problems

I purchased my 305 package (CAD/HR) from Geoman a few weeks back and could not be happier with the feature set. All around SUPER SERVICE from Geoman!!

What I've wanted was the ability to pair lap times with HR data on one device. I've been using 1 second sampling to ensure the unit has best chance for accurate speed/mapping in the trails. However, understanding the known discrepancies between GPS distance traveled from mapped data and existing computer actual distances, I wanted to run the unit without GPS for timed training days to get more accurate distance and speed from speed sensor data. I already have the trail sections well mapped altitude/distance etc.

My problem is this. While my cadence works perfect, the speed sensor does not after many attempts. I've replaced battery, moved sensor to within 2mm of wheel magnet and reset/repaired the sensor a few dozen times from both near and far. When I spin the cranks, the red light blinks. However, there's no green light when the wheel magent passes the sensor.

Can I check anything else before assuming the speed senor is bad and calling for support?

mtbr member
    Here is an article I found on fixya.com. I have the 305 and have never had any problems. Good luck!

Had the same problem. Here is how I fixed it.
    1. Changed the battery in the cadence sensor. (GSC10)
    2. Turned on my garmin 305 edge outside to acquire satellites (probably not nec but did it anyway)
    3. Pressed reset on the GSC10, saw red/green flash (what order?)
    4. Here's the missing step: On the Edge unit, go to SYSTEM.
    5. Scroll to bottom, choose ACCESSORIES.
    6. On acc. page, go to bottom, under Cadence Sensor, to the option RESTART SCAN. Press That. Now your cadence and speed should work.

Don't look back ....
    Thanks jzimmerman,

I ran across that one on google search earlier. The rescan was done a half a dozen times or so. If the entire unit wasn't working, this would probably resolve most issues. I've even tried spinning the wheel to generate a signal while rescanning as well, with no joy.

mtbr member
    Bummer, won't Geoman hook you up with a new one?

Don't look back ....

Fixed!

I bought another pair of CR 2032 batteries for my other cyclometer, and on a lark decided to try yet another battery in the GSC10.

This time, the Green Light worked when I cycled the wheel around, and after two re-scans, the sensor paired correctly. The battery I had in the GSC10 worked fine in my Avocet. Go figure. It must be particular on voltage?

I rode it for a few miles, and we'll put it to 3-4 hour test tomorrow.