Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008

Edge 305 or refurb 705

Sure it's been beaten to death, but I'm thinking of getting a garmin.

The who and what:
    It would be for me and my girlfriend. I'm a mountain biker (fully rigid) who trains on the road a fair amount (I ride about 5 days a week, 120 miles/wk road+ mountain rides). I am pretty comfortable with being totally lost in both the mountains and the road
    My gf is a roady (80miles/wk over 1 or 2 days. She gets lost going from our house to the store. She likes maps and compasses and anything that can help her figure out where she is.

So we need:
    HR
    Cadence
    Speed (all the other typical computer features)

We'd like to be able to see a map and our position on it. Not sure if need point by point directions. Basically when we go for a wonder (with no real planned course) we'd like to know where different roads lead and where we are. Can the 305 meet this need?

The price difference is like $150 between the two options and trying to figure out if the 705 is worth it. I'm pretty tech savvy so not worried about having to buy lots of other maps etc... Just wondering if the 305 will suffice. I know that you can load routes into the 305, but can you load maps? Thanks.
    Last edited by olapiquena; 06-12-2009 at 07:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would go with the 705 so you can have the map on your screen. CitiNavigator would be nice for the turn-by-turns and the Points of Interest features to help your GF from getting lost, but there are also free maps on the internet that you can download.

UBER Addict
    You cant load maps on the 305, it has no mapping capability.
    The UBER V poll! Take it now!!

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    So... what is the general consensus on refurbished units?

Also, let me get this straight, you can load externally created routes onto the 305, but not maps of any sort? How are the routes represented?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by olapiquena
    How are the routes represented?

The Garmin website and owners manual has many screen shoots for both units.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=331
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=10885

Also Google Image Search will show you many images.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

GeoMan
    So... what is the general consensus on refurbished units?
    We've been selling the heck out of the refurbs - everyone's happy, which is GREAT!

I have spot inspected a few of them and I cannot tell that they are refurb's... They look "as new", frankly.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Geoman and others. You guys are definitely helping.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    I have spot inspected a few of them and I cannot tell that they are refurb's... They look "as new", frankly.
    I spent 16 years in the cellphone business as a tech, from the time of "car phones" and "bag phones" to the tiny handhelds. We used to do board level repairs on failures. As the numbers of phones out there grew, exchanges for refurbs became the warranty method. That was a vast improvement. Here is why:

In the mass production market of today, QC production inspections tend to happen on every 500 to 1000 products coming off assembly. A refurb has been gone through by a tech with a test set and any failure will be identified, even secondary ones other than the initial problem.

We found that the refurb exchange cell phones were far more reliable than the new models being sold. I suspect this is true in the GPS products as well, since they are very similar products with a circuit board, a display, and a keypad controller.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    So, in addition to the actual unit what would I need to buy in order to get a 705 to help us 'find our way' (both road and mtn)? Bottom line... brass tax type estimates?

Would I need to buy maps, or can I just 'find' them online (GPS depot, etc). Thanks

js.

trail rat
    So, in addition to the actual unit what would I need to buy in order to get a 705 to help us 'find our way' (both road and mtn)? Bottom line... brass tax type estimates?

js.
    Look at GPS File Depot. I have posted about it so, so, so many times in this forum that I am surprised you have not found that in your research. They have many free maps and excellent tutorials.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    I understand that you have posted, I was just confused about what is actually required on each platform (ie. if the GPS platform required it's own formatted, proprietary maps). Thanks though, as you, I think, have answered my question. If I am to understand you correctly, I can just load GPSfile Depot Maps onto my computer and then onto the edge, without needing to purchase additional products. Thank you.

trail rat
    You will need Mapsource and GTC. GTC came with my 305, but I do not know it it is included with the 705. Here is the link of how to get both and all about how to install them on your computer and upload to the 705. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorial...with-your-gps/
    CCCMB web - Facebook

wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    We've been selling the heck out of the refurbs - everyone's happy, which is GREAT!

why are your 705 show a list of $601.00 and Garmin shows these retail at $499.00

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    After looking through the tutorials, Next Question:

In the Mapsource info I noticed (actually, it's hard not to notice) this note,

* WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.

As there is no mention of purchasing the a previous Mapsource suite on the Garmin site, other than this page, which reads as if it is purely an update, I am wondering if the 705 actually comes with this software?

Thanks

trail rat
    As there is no mention of purchasing the a previous Mapsource suite on the Garmin site, other than this page, which reads as if it is purely an update, I am wondering if the 705 actually comes with this software?
    No
    In the Mapsource info I noticed (actually, it's hard not to notice) this note,

* WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.
    That tutorial is the work around for this. Download the products from that tutorial, follow the directions, and you can get it to work on your computer, without a GPS. Try it. You want Ibycus for road maps, your state topo (if available - not all exist yet) for off road.
    CCCMB web - Facebook