mtbr lurker
    May 2008

Edge 305 Maiden Voyage

I've had my 305 for a couple of months and played with it here and there but didnt do anthing worthy of overlaying my route on Google Maps or Google Earth. Well this weekend I did a big loop around the Difficult Run and Colvin Run trails by using the W&OD Rail Trail to connect the two. In all it was about 9miles. I really liked how the 305 can track my heart rate along my ride and then in Garmin Training Center graphs it so i can see where my heart rate is at any given point on the ride. I then used MotionBased to import my route to really see where I went. One thing that I found interesting is when I looked at my route how deep or not deep the woods are. In most places it feels like I was tucked back away from civilization when really a few hundred yards to my left or right are neighborhoods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

GeoMan
    Gotta love it!!!

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member

Its amazing technology...

I recently had my first 305 start having the dreaded "turn off" syndrome. The unit turns itself off after hitting a large bump, this happens to the unit as the spring contacts get weak with age. I found a fix short of sending it back to garmin (and paying $99 bucks) on a forum where you open up the unit and bend the springs back, that didnt work for me so I tried the second fix of directly soldering the power leads to the circuit board, this worked however when I sealed the unit up, somehow glue got into the USB plug and I wasnt able to charge or download data from the unit. I was amazed at how much I missed all the info available from the unit, so I purchased another 305 from Amazon.com for $225 with HR monitor, I was thinking of springing for the 705 but $600+ is too steep. Anyway, I recomend mounting your egde on the rubber strip they give you (if you havent already) to reduce vibration to the unit. Enjoy!

trail rat
    You want to see your effort, that is heart rate as you ride? Get TopoFusion!

23.28 mi (10.62 mi uphill, 9.50 mi downhill, 3.12 mi flat)
    3774 ft total ascent (3752 ft descent) - 9.9 % uphill grade, 15.3 % downhill grade
    3:53:57 total time (3:10:11 moving, 0:43:46 stopped)
    0:08:09 pace (7.3 mph average speed, 35.9 mph max speed)
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    You want to see your effort, that is heart rate as you ride? Get TopoFusion!

23.28 mi (10.62 mi uphill, 9.50 mi downhill, 3.12 mi flat)
    3774 ft total ascent (3752 ft descent) - 9.9 % uphill grade, 15.3 % downhill grade
    3:53:57 total time (3:10:11 moving, 0:43:46 stopped)
    0:08:09 pace (7.3 mph average speed, 35.9 mph max speed)
    Topofusion is a great product!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com