mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Edge 305 Courses, WTF am I missing?

I rode a loop around my neighborhood the other day and saved it as a course. The next day I wanted to ride the same loop and try to beat my previous time. I learned from the first time I tried to do this that I can't let the 305 find the starting point because the GPS is constantly bouncing around and never finds my start spot even though I'm standing right there.

So, I took the advice of MTBR and started the course manually. Now, the problem is my display shows only my course time/distance remaining and overall time/distance. I would like to be able to view my heart rate while riding the course, or even the icon showing if I'm behind or ahead of my previous time (which I have turned on in the menu, but alas, can't seem to get it on the screen)

So what am I missing? Do I have a complex stopwatch that can sometimes show my HR or what? Can I change the display of what is shown during a course? Can I see the icon showing my previous best?
    Tampa Florida

07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3
    07 Redline Monocog Flight 29er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)

mtbr member
    You have to edit the course screen before you start doing the course. You can have the screen display whatever metrics you want displayed. Also I believe when in course mode, pushing enter cycles through screens instead of the up/down arrows.

I am not aware of how to manually start the course. I know you push start, but that just kind of tells it to start looking for the course. Its still not going to really start until it detects you crossing the starting point. At least that is how it seems to work for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Do you have a hard time with the unit "finding" your starting point? I was moving all around based on what it was telling me, and even though I was all over where I started, it never found the starting point and thus, never started.
    Tampa Florida

07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3
    07 Redline Monocog Flight 29er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)

mtbr member
    Yes I do. You have to be careful of how you set your starting point. Make sure its physically easy to see. Don't put it in the middle of a parking lot, for instance.

Also, I have had courses get corrupted. You can try recreating your course. That may fix your issue.