R12
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Edge 305 cadence: if I don't connect...

will I get mechanical reading via spoke magnet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No

The spoke magnet is for speed.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

R12
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

I know, and I meant if I'd get mechanical speed reading

I'm not interested in cadence, but if the GPS signal were to drop I would like the magnet to pick up the slack and wasn't sure if I needed to install the whole cadence setup or the spoke magnet with the GC10 will do by themselves.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by R12
    I'm not interested in cadence, but if the GPS signal were to drop I would like the magnet to pick up the slack and wasn't sure if I needed to install the whole cadence setup or the spoke magnet with the GC10 will do by themselves.
    The GSC10 does this - filling in the speed/distance blanks when GPS signals fade. You do not need to install the crank magnet if you aren't using cadence, just the spoke magnet.

Bear in mind that the sensitivity of the 305 and 705 is so good that I rarely lose GPS signal or rely on my GSC10 for filling in the blanks. Food for thought.

Frankly, you don't need the GSC10 at all if you aren't interested in cadence but it's nice to have the backup.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com