mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Edge 305 broke, best replacement gps?

My garmin edge 305 is apparently dying. When I push the "start timer button" it turns off. Are these worth fixing and can they be fixed? I will presume no to both questions. I was fine with the performance and features of the 305, now I must replace. Is there a big difference in the newer models? Is the 500 the replacement for the 305? If you were being forced to buy right now which gps would you buy? Presume of course that you were content with the 305, and that type of gps has the features that you use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

70$

Garmin will repair it for about 70 dollars. Technically they just send you a repaired one and then fix yours and send it to someone else.

There is not a GPS currently in garmins line that has the same feature set as the 305. The 200 and 500's lack the ability to do the basic mapping that the 305 can do, and the 800 does much more.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    the 500 has similar features but is not as accurate unless you buy the wheel thing

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good advice, on both counts, thank you. In reference to getting it repaired I'm not the original owner, does garmin care?
    To those of you who moved on from the 305, what did you go to, and are you happy with your change,or which model do you wish you had gotten?

mtbr member
    I just bought the 605. Has everything I need and nothing I don't. Screen could be bigger.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I recently bought a Edge 800. It's my first Garmin so can't really compare but I'll give you my thoughts about it:

Construction: it is very well built and beautiful to look at. I have my doubts on scratch resistance though... I have the black/white one. On recommendation of some forum members I've ordered some screen protectors and a silicone skin for it. The included support for the bike is very stable and you get 2 of them and a bunch of rubber bands in different sizes.

Readabilty: the screen has a good size but when in mapping mode it's sometimes hard to see/read outdoors, especially on sunny days. You can have the background lighting on but it will consume more battery of course. A nice feature is also the ability to customize datafields.

Menu's: I had to get used to those but as I said, it's my first Garmin. Now I find my way around very well.

Usage: I bought the 800 because I really wanted the mapping to be able to navigate. So far this works well. When you specify that you're using it on a mountain bike and you want to go from A to B, it will suggest you a route from A to B via trails. This feature I really like. The touchscreen is responsive but manipulating it while riding requires a lot of eye/hand coordination... Garmin claims around 15hrs of battery life. I haven't done a full cycle yet but from how I see the % going down per timeframe I think it will not be far from it. I'm not using HRM or cadence meter... The battery is a rechargeable Lithium so no option to jump into the nearest grocery store to buy new batteries when yours ran out...

The biggest "issue" I have with it is the fact that it doesn't work perfectly with Basecamp installed on a Mac. The issue is known and actually they've already done some updates but it's still not perfect. Some examples: I cannot seem to load multiple routes/tracks at once, many location points are saved as doubles, i can only delete locations directly from the gps and not via Basecamp and it's a bit annoying that you can not go through the menu's of the gps when it's connected to a computer. Allthough there is no impact on funcionality, I suppose/hope that future updates will solve this...

Overall I'm very pleased with it and I'd buy the same again.

I hope this helps in making your decision.

wot no bike?

No good

Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    The 200 and 500's lack the ability to do the basic mapping that the 305 can do
    Speaking of, I was pretty pissed when I discovered they intentionally "dumbed down" the 500 in this repect (only to upsell the 800). Prior to my recent purchase of a 500 I owned a few 205s, and would use the "bread crumb" screen to help me navigate back to my origin when riding in unfamiliar locations with multiple offshoots and trails. I bought the 500 and a few days later decided to get lost in an out-of-state trail system. When it was time to head back I went to enable the bread crumb screen only to find it wasn't there. Lame.
    pete

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by 3034 View Post
    the 500 has similar features but is not as accurate unless you buy the wheel thing
    As discuseeed the 500 lacks the very useful ability to display where you have been as a basic dotted line. It also does not allow you to upload files of rides and follow them. You can upload a file and use it for a virtual partner, but the unit does not allow you to zoom and view the file in a way that would allow you to follow an unknown trail like the edge 305 does.

The 500 set to use 1 sec recording is just as accurate as an edge 305. Both units can use the wheel sensor to increase accuracy when gps signal is weak. The 500 adds the ability to communicate with power meters.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

trail rat
    This guy does good work and has an excellent reputation.
    Garmin Edge 205 305 Repair, Vibration , Button, Battery | eBay
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorealtitude View Post
    Good advice, on both counts, thank you. In reference to getting it repaired I'm not the original owner, does garmin care?
    To those of you who moved on from the 305, what did you go to, and are you happy with your change,or which model do you wish you had gotten?
    My experience is that Garmin does not care. I recently had to get my 205 repaired, and since it was out of warranty, they did not ask for proof of purchase, since I was footing the bill. I'd recommend getting it fixed if you are happy with it, though I would not wait too long, since it has been discontinued.

I use my 205 for trail running and cycling and it works great. I also have a Forerunner 110 (lighter, better looking, less bulky than the 205/305), but it is VERY light on features. It does not even tell you your current speed, if you can believe that. If you want something with maps, to be used for both hiking and riding, the eTrex 20s/30s are great units. I have the 30, and I've been very pleased with it as well. There are a few recent threads here that talk about this unit.

-D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was not the original owner of mine, garmin did not care. I paid the $70 and had a replacement 3 days later with a 90 day warranty. Cheapest option of all.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorealtitude View Post
    My garmin edge 305 is apparently dying. When I push the "start timer button" it turns off. Are these worth fixing and can they be fixed? I will presume no to both questions. I was fine with the performance and features of the 305, now I must replace. Is there a big difference in the newer models? Is the 500 the replacement for the 305? If you were being forced to buy right now which gps would you buy? Presume of course that you were content with the 305, and that type of gps has the features that you use.
    I love the Edge 305.

I have tried the 800, 200, and Oregon 450 as replacements. None are as accurate and drop the satellite lock MUCH easier.

Bought a used 305. May look at getting my original one repaired (elevation does not work).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common