mtbr member

Edge 205 Climbing Accuracy?

I have had a Garmin Edge 205 for a couple of years now. It seems to be pretty accurate for distance, but always overstates the amount of climbing. I just did a 38 mile road ride tonight with 1 major climb of about 1,200 feet and a lot of other smaller ups and downs. The 205 says I climbed 6,800 feet. I wish I could climb that much in under 3 hours and still feel good. It seems to be pretty accurate on the big climbs from bottom to top, but somehow throws in a lot of extra vertical that I didn't ride.

Just curious if anyone else has this problem.

trail rat
    The 205 does not have a barometric altimeter. GPS elevation measurement is a known weak point, just from the triangulation of the satellites 22000 miles away. Google will show you many articles on this from simple layman's terms to very involved physics.

One solution it to use one of the online aggregator sites like MotionBased that do error correction, or get TopoFusion or SportTracks that let you select the elevation changes that you want to filter for error correction. I know TopoFusion uses DEM data for realistic error correction as well.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You can forget altitude based purely on GPS signals. Way too much variation in signal, especially in tree lined areas. Best hope is to use actual topo data or average the points on a larger scale to eliminate the blips.