Droooooolll....Garmin fenix

Garmin fenix – a wrist-top backcountry navigator | GPS Tracklog

Wrist-top.
    Track display.
    Barometric compass
    fitness functions
    ANT+
    Bluetooth
    up to 50hrs battery life using GPS (6 weeks in watch mode)
    external temp sensor (wtf, this is new!)

this will be replacing my Forerunner for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Seems like it will destroy the forerunner line. and the $400 isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Seems like there is alot there. I'm just concerned with ease of use considering such a small screen with so many features.

Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    Seems like it will destroy the forerunner line. and the $400 isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Seems like there is alot there. I'm just concerned with ease of use considering such a small screen with so many features.
    I don't think it will destroy the Forerunner. This thing has almost no training features (no workouts at all). I do think the features are what many Forerunner users would like, though.

More Torque
    I must admit that it does look pretty cool. External temp via that new add on wireless pod. Battery life sounds pretty impressive, though it would be hard to justify if you already have a decent Forerunner and handheld.

-D

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    I must admit that it does look pretty cool. External temp via that new add on wireless pod. Battery life sounds pretty impressive, though it would be hard to justify if you already have a decent Forerunner and handheld.

-D
    Maybe so. If people doing the early reviews on it seem to be showing that it has good reception, it might replace my Forerunner. I don't really use the workout functions on the Forerunner at all right now, and that would probably be what the decision would come down to. How much fitness functionality do I want?

If all you want are spot location checks for a long hike, though, this device could be the ticket. Leave it in watch mode until you want to check your location. Turn the GPS back off when you're done. The weight is more in line with what weight-conscious hikers are looking for.

Could also be worth it for those mtb rides in familiar locations where all I want to do is track my location. Forerunners don't have an altimeter, so getting a better elevation reading from a small device would be nice. You also have some nav capability, which Forerunners don't have at all. Mark a waypoint at your vehicle and you can navigate to it, which you cannot do with a Forerunner. It fills a gap between the fitness models and the handhelds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    For me, there is not much value in track display without an underlying basemap. I need to see comparative features in order to navigate, such as topographic lines, bodies of water, mountain peaks, etc., not just a squiggly line.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    For me, there is not much value in track display without an underlying basemap. I need to see comparative features in order to navigate, such as topographic lines, bodies of water, mountain peaks, etc., not just a squiggly line.
    Odd that the specs show:

Basemap: yes
    Preloaded maps: no
    Ability to add maps: no
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    From Garmin's website:
    Plan trips and share adventures with friends and family using BaseCamp™. fēnix is equipped with both ANT capabilities and Bluetooth® to wirelessly share tracks, waypoints, routes and geocaches with other compatible Garmin devices or smartphones

seems you'd be able to run BaseCamp on your smartphone and get all the maps / features / detail the unit lacks in its display, and be able to dump your handheld unit altogether....

One Gear
    The strap looks like it can be replaced by the user instead of going back to Garmin if it breaks.