mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Don't lose your Cateye computer

I lost my Cateye computer during a ride. No crashes or anything -- I just looked down and it was gone -- it had unsnapped from the mount.

I found an easy way to prevent that from happening to you: I got a 20-pack of these narrow 8" zip ties from Wal-Mart for less than a dollar. (These zip ties also work for attaching the pickup to your slider tube).

Last edited by DennisF; 10-02-2013 at 08:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nice solution to a problem I didn't know I potentially had. My wife has this computer on her bike.
    Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You're most welcome.

I was very surprised that it came off -- it is difficult to remove if you want it off. I didn't crash, and there was no possibility theft. I usually hit a few small branches, but that would push it on, not off. I don't think I failed to snap it back on fully -- it had been several rides since I removed it, and I am a pilot and am pretty careful about double-checking dumb stuff like that.

I found a couple other posts on Google about people losing them, and a guy on eBay was selling one he found along the trail. So apparently it is not a common problem, but it does happen.

Anyway, I sprung an extra $2 for the white model (instead of black) in case it happens again

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    An update: I used up all the narrow Zip ties that I got at Wal-Mart, and they no longer carry that variety or anything in that size. Same for my auto parts store.

Fortunately I kept the package. They are GE brand, available on Amazon for about $6 per 100:

GE 18174 Cable Ties, Plastic 8-Inch Black, 100-Pack
    GE 18174 Cable Ties, Plastic 8-Inch Black, 100-Pack - Amazon.com

Also want to add: don't honk them down too tight, or it will interfere with the movement of the computer body when you push the button. Snug is fine.

This trick also works on other computer brands.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just got a stealth 50, it seems really tight but I could see it loosening up after being removed and put back on a bunch. Maybe I'll try to fit a small piece of friction tape on the mount or computer to make it more snug.