mtbr member

Does mytrail and other bike apps work without Internet connection?

I'm planning to get a new phone and repurpose my current smartphone as a bike computer/gps. But I'm not sure if this is doable.

I have Mytrail, Google map, and one other gps-based app on my phone. I'm wondering if these apps work without wifi. My phone is always connected to data when not using wifi, so I'm not sure if these apps are using Internet connection to function.

Can I use a smartphone without wifi or data plan for navigation and distance recording using cycling apps?

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    You can turn off your mobile data and test this theory on any android phone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    You can turn off your mobile data and test this theory on any android phone.
    That's the thing. I can't turn off data. It turns off only when I'm connected to wifi.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Yep...was just gonna suggest, kill the WiFi and put the phone in Airplane mode as that should should kill your data plan link. If it works, you're golden. I know apps like Trailforks do work because they download a region onto your phone so the app has all the info it needs to work in a data-less environment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Trailforks works offline

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Many apps do. Some don't. Put your phone in airplane mode to try it. It's dead simple.

mtbr member
    Great idea! Never thought of of that.

mtbr member
    Mountain Bike Project works off line as long as you download the area maps ahead of time. If it didn't it would basically be useless here in Colorado.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop_Power View Post
    Mountain Bike Project works off line as long as you download the area maps ahead of time. If it didn't it would basically be useless here in Colorado.
    One thing worth noting regarding apps like this - you want to make sure you have enough space on your phone to store maps. Some will let you specify a memory card as a destination for maps. MTB Project does not...at least on the Android version I have. So I have to be judicious about how many states I load. It's also worth noting that on mtb project, this just downloads the trails. It does not download any sort of basemap to show you roads or terrain or any of that.