Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Do I want a Garmin Edge?

I'm trying to decide if a Garmin Edge is really want I want, and if so what model should I go with. I'm currently a Weekend Warrior, and Father of 1 year old twin boys. I'm looking to step up my fitness as I'm currently a Clyde.

Anyways, what I'd like to have is a fully featured cycle computer that will allow me to track my rides and in the best cast allow me to upload data to the computer. This is what I like about the Edge, I can do my ride and then see a map on my computer of the ride I did.

However, I'm thinking even though the weather is good I might be doing a lot of riding on the trainer due to the fact that its easiest to get rides in while the babies are sleeping. This point doesn't seem to lend itself to the Edge because I wouldn't be able to track miles at all, I'd at best have HR, Cadence and Speed (however speed is based on wheel size and I read it gets that stat while your moving so it might not work on the trainer)

So I thought I could get the 205 and with the savings get a cheap cycle computer for the trainer, but then I don't get HR (even though I'm not sure how to use HR to my advantage yet), and really if I have a cheap computer tracking most of the data anyways its it really worth the money for the 205?

Is there a better cycle computer option out there for me? I don't want to get crazy expensive but if its comparable to the Garmin I don't think I'd complain.

trail rat
    The cadence / speed sensor for all the Edge models also has a wheel magnet and the crank arm magnet; the sensor links speed and cadence to the head unit. You will get mileage on the trainer. It is also useful in poor satellite reception areas (extremely heavy tree cover or deep hills blocking satellite view to the south).
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The edge units will track speed and mileage, cadence, HR etc. on the trainer, you just set the gps option to "off" so it forces the unit to use the speed sensor instead of gps data.

The wheel size is automatically adjusted by gps speed, but once it's set I think it stays set, you can also manually adjust it if needed. Since the unit would have speed and time it can calculate mileage.

So you would get mileage, cadence, time, distance, HR etc. on the trainer.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm pretty sure the Edge 205 DOES NOT track cadence or heart rate, so you would want the 305. Check out MTBR member Geoman he's awesome and great prices.... got my Edge 305 from him last year.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bstyle74
    I'm pretty sure the Edge 205 DOES NOT track cadence or heart rate, so you would want the 305. Check out MTBR member Geoman he's awesome and great prices.... got my Edge 305 from him last year.
    Correct. From Garmin 205 page:

Rugged, lightweight Edge 205 attaches easily to the stem or handlebars of your bike with the included bike mount. Just turn it on, acquire GPS satellites and go. Edge automatically measures your speed, distance, time, calories burned and altitude, and records this data for your review. For even more detailed data, get the Edge 305, which can track your heart rate, cadence, climb and descent.
    I learn something every day, I thought the 205 would do cadence / speed with the accessory, and just not HR or barometric altimeter, but I was wrong,
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    You want an Edge. You won't regret getting a 305, especially from Geoman.
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” - H.G. Wells

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyperkins
    You want an Edge. You won't regret getting a 305, especially from Geoman.
    +1 Nicely stated. The Edge adds a lot to an average ride. As you improve you can compare older data to yesterdays ride and see the improvement. I did a bunch of spinning classes over the winter. Downloading the HR information was very helpful. I could discuss the last class with the instructor and look at where my HR was over the course of the class. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well if the Edge 305 can give me Mileage (Kilometers in my case) then I guess that sort of takes away the issue of using the computer on the trainer because

A) It will give all relevant data
    B) Its wireless and works off the rear wheel

Now the only thing I guess it has against it is the price, so I have to decide if I want to spend that much. I'm just thinking I can get a computer without HRM and without GPS for really cheap so I'll have to see which way I want to go.

mtbr member
    Another vote for 305 + optional cadence/wheel speed sensor. Does what you want without the expence of 605/705.

You might look at a wrist model if you do any running too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dnoyeb
    Another vote for 305 + optional cadence/wheel speed sensor. Does what you want without the expence of 605/705.

You might look at a wrist model if you do any running too.
    Yeah I think my decision has come down to the Edge 305 With Cadence (and probably the heart rate) or something simple to just track speed and distance. My only concern is that I'm got myself all hyped up about all the features of the Edge when all I really need is a $30 computer that will allow me to see my improvement on the trainer.

I'm going to be leaving a road bike on the trainer pretty much all the time, and when I ride outside I'll use my MTB, so I'm going to need to be able to use the computer on both bikes easily. The Edge does this easily as if I'm outside and moving I really don't NEED the cadence so I just need to slap the unit on the bike and off I go. But the same can be said for a cheap computer if I just get an extra mount, except I need to find a mount that tracks with the rear wheel for trainer use.

Really the Edge seems to cover everything, but I just can't seem to get past the price. I keep thinking it might be too much for what I really need. I mean I could really get 2 decent computers for the same price.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    i love my 305. looking at motionbased forums the 605/705 has plenty of bugs to be worked out yet.

mtbr member
    True true. This is what I went through before I bought my 305 from geoman. I was fighting myself and trying to get a simple cateye. Then I was fighting myself about getting the cadence on a MTB. But since I liked the heart rate monitor I needed the 305 and at that point I might as well get the cadence.

Then I told myself I don't really need cadence on the MTB and Ill just put that sensor on my road bike.

Well I failed. I love the 305 with heart rate and cadence. Seeing the course on a map with pace and heart rate and cadence is great. And the "Virtual Partner" is just awesome. I can't think of a better way to train. It has so many training features that help you train by yourself that there is no comparison to an ordinary bike computer. You will not be disappointed.

Case and point. Everyone told me that you ride for high cadence, not in a hard gear. I always go into a hard gear when I get tired because that was just natural to me. Then one day I rode with someone who was not as fast as me, so I pedaled in a real easy, high-rpm, gear so as to slow myself down but still give myself a workout. After the ride when I analyzed the two I was amazed to see my heart rate dropped while I was pedaling like a madman!!

I would not have believed it if i did not see it for myself with the data produced by the 305. Its great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I guess its true, if I'm going to actually use all the data that the 305 can supply then I don't see any better option. You have all the data you need to have very structured training sessions.

But I think I've convinced myself that its much more then I need right now. I've used my indoor trainer 3 times now and I'm getting stuck at the 30 min mark, I've got a movie on, but I'm not comfortable or something. So I think I'm going to get a cheap computer and get myself a good saddle and some good cycling shorts. I figure the money is better spent getting me comfortable on the bike.

Ride = Life

305 or hold off for the 705?

I like the idea of map topo data on SD cards. I also like 705 tracking the elevation changes in the ride (Colorado has a few hills). I don't need the wireless sync as I don't think anyone else will have a 705 monster on group rides. But uploading rides, downloading, and tracking rides would be great.

I don't want cadence information, but is the speed sensor worth it for mountain terrain? Few trees out here.

Has anyone started looking a the 705, or is everyone sticking with the 305?

mtbr member
    If you ride with a group most of the time you really dont need the 305, but its still nice. If you ride alone mostly as I do, then the 305 adds a nice self-challenge.

The 705 looks much prettier, but I guess Garman forgot to add any true upgrades that affect it as a trainer.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by racerxti
    I like the idea of map topo data on SD cards. I also like 705 tracking the elevation changes in the ride (Colorado has a few hills). I don't need the wireless sync as I don't think anyone else will have a 705 monster on group rides. But uploading rides, downloading, and tracking rides would be great.

I don't want cadence information, but is the speed sensor worth it for mountain terrain? Few trees out here.

Has anyone started looking a the 705, or is everyone sticking with the 305?
    There are a number of people with 705s reporting in this forum. It has a number of bugs, if you find the threads, there are half dozen or so.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm another canuck and if price is swaying you, talk to Geoman. His prices are far better than what you'll find locally and better than MEC.

At first, all I wanted was to be able to download my rides for my logbook and to look at them in GoogleEarth. Now, I can challenge myself, set horizontal and climbing goals for the year and much more. You may think it is overkill to start, but I find you quickly end up adding to how you use the data as you have it available.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Will the 305 allow you to overlay your ride onto Google Maps? If so, I'm ordering one.

veinte nueve pulgadas
    absolutely. visit motionbased.com to learn more. more importantly, just this weekend i was over @ mapmyride.com, created a 53 fireroad course in their google maps software, saved a CRS file, and then I had my course loaded into my GPS with a virtual riding partner to race for the duration. i did this with the forerunner 305, not the edge, but the mapping capabilities are the same.

i love my forerunner 305.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Turt99
    Well if the Edge 305 can give me Mileage (Kilometers in my case) then I guess that sort of takes away the issue of using the computer on the trainer because

A) It will give all relevant data
    B) Its wireless and works off the rear wheel

Now the only thing I guess it has against it is the price, so I have to decide if I want to spend that much. I'm just thinking I can get a computer without HRM and without GPS for really cheap so I'll have to see which way I want to go.
    With the 705 just coming out there should be a bunch of used ones on Ebay. I have the 305 and had it a week after release and LOVE it. Just keep an eye out for used ones.
    KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1
    Will the 305 allow you to overlay your ride onto Google Maps? If so, I'm ordering one.
    Yes, the Garmin Training Center software that comes with the Edge 305 has a direct link to open the track in Google Earth. Many of us here recommended GeoMan (www.geomangear.com) for the best price and superior service.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, after I saw the Geoman's price I was pretty much set. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna go order one right now!

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1
    Yeah, after I saw the Geoman's price I was pretty much set. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna go order one right now!
    You can't go wrong there.

After you have played with it some, check out,
    TopoFusion http://www.topofusion.com, and
    SportTracks http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks.

They are my primary choices now for data; SportTracks for the HRM fitness data, and TopoFusion for the mapping and data logging.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Can I do the oposite? Can I make a route on GoogleEarth and then export it to the Garmin Edge 305 and follow it on the trail?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Batas
    Can I do the oposite? Can I make a route on GoogleEarth and then export it to the Garmin Edge 305 and follow it on the trail?
    I'm not a Google Earth guru, can you make routes in it? If so, and if it will allow you to export them as a .crs file, then yes. Garmin understands the import of .crs (course) files from anywhere. I grab routes that way from MotionBased all the time.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast