mtbr member

Do Garmin Owners Pretty Much Use Motion Based?

I have found several sites (ie mtbguru) that have other peoples "courses" that you can download for free. Wondering if Garmin owners use these resources or just pay the extra money to use MB?

Next question would be...Is it worth it?

Thanks

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I use motionbased every now and then..and used mtb guru a while ago...I liked the photo mashup on mtb guru....though lately I mostly use programs like GPS-Track-Analyse.NET to get stats out of my rides....

apparently once Garmin switches all motionbased users to Garmin connect, there will be no limit on the number of tracks displayed...so I might "come back" then

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I use motionbased exclusively. And I don't subscribe, so it's 100% free for me.

Also, there is no "limit" to tracks displayed with the free version of MB... there is only a limit to what you can edit (I think it's only the last 10 events).

Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    I use motionbased exclusively. And I don't subscribe, so it's 100% free for me.

Also, there is no "limit" to tracks displayed with the free version of MB... there is only a limit to what you can edit (I think it's only the last 10 events).
    well...if I try to see the 11th activity on my Digest I get the message below....so that's what I meant above...

Paid Subscribers Only

Sorry, you have attempted to access a protected resource.
    Old Activity
    You'll need to upgrade to MotionBased Standard to access that activity.

With your current MotionBased Lite account, you may access your 10 most recent activities. While you may continue to upload and store activities at MotionBased, you need to upgrade to MotionBased Standard for detailed analysis and mapping for all activities in your Digest. Plus, as a paying customer, you can access the Analyzer and enhanced reports in the Digest.

mtbr member
    I am not so concerned (at least now) with my tracks but rather more interested in being able to download other peoples "courses" when I go someplace and want to ride a trail for the first time.

Is motionbased worth signing up for for that reason?

here today
    I don't use MB there are plenty of other resources, currently I'm using

Site: GPS Tracks
    URL: http://www.gps-tour.info/index.html/sitelang.en/

Description: Fantastic resource for free tracks from other riders or walkers. Has over 5000 maps. Site is English and German with maps from all over the world but a high level of German/Austrian trails.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    well...if I try to see the 11th activity on my Digest I get the message below....so that's what I meant above...

Log out. If you are logged in, MB assumes that you want to do editing, so it only shows you the last 10 events.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zenmonkey
    I don't use MB there are plenty of other resources, currently I'm using

Has over 5000 maps.
    I don't know how many MB has, but it's definately a lot more than 5000. Personally, the only thing I don't like about MB is it's clunky search. You really have to know exactly what you are looking for in order to find it.

But so far, there has been only one location that I've ridden at that I couldn't find tracks for (I was searching for the location as "Macungie", which is advertised location for the trails, but MB has them listed as being in "Alburtis", a town I had never even heard of....)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    Log out. If you are logged in, MB assumes that you want to do editing, so it only shows you the last 10 events.

cool.... thanks for the tip...

I use motionbased. Yeah, the search is clunky and it can get bogged down with uploads on weekends, but I find it useful and I like that you can export to kml in addition to gpx. I've used it to locate trails in the little town I'm living in right now, but most stuff posted on there for my area are runs and road bike rides.

mtbr member
    i use sporttracks. its shareware (free or donate) and works great.
    Intense Tracer VP
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    24" BMX

mtbr member
    fosbibr...does sporttracks allow you to view other peoples courses and download them?

Looked at the screen shots..very impressive looking.

mtbr member
    I believe it does - you can map out your own course in the software and then load it onto the Garmin. i've downloaded courses from mapmyride (i've found more things there than i did on MB) and loaded them on so i think it has what youre looking for. As it is shareware it has some kinks but overall it works much better than training center and its free.
    Intense Tracer VP
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    24" BMX

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I use MB---user Petek---I like it; I just hope Connect becomes as good after they migrate everyone over. Actually I'd prefer if Connect died as in DEAD.

Slowest Rider

MB is good but slow

I've tried a few and find Motion Based is the best for analyzing and presenting data like moving time, average speed, and total climb accurately. It can automatically trim clearly bad track points, and does the best job of summing up vertical gain. (If you turn off Gravity Web on Motion Based, and turn off your Automatic Calibration on you GPS) So I now use MB exclusively.

My biggest issue with Motion Based is that it's horribly slow. It reallly needs to be ten times faster. Hopefully when Garmin is done with the migration to Garmin Connect, it will finally be fast, and have even more nice features. But that transition is already months behind.

I also agree it's hard to find trails on Motion Based. It searches for names people use in the title and comments, and users don't always put all the trail names in, or use different nicknames that aren't common. They need more of a geographical based search.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.