mtbr member

Cylcometer Magnet Placement

I was trying to come up with a clean installation of my new CatEye Strada. I didn't want the sensor on the fork, and the magnet on the spoke.

I ended up putting a magnet inside the rear tire. I glued it on, and put some teflon chaft tape over it. I put the sensor on the down tube, just above the front derailuer mount.

The sensor is out of sight, wont get kocked off, the magnet is secure, and most best of all, it works!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaStinson View Post
    ...and most best of all, it works!

I suspect before too long, that magnet is going to be bouncing around inside your tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If he's running tubes, the magnet won't move.

mtbr member
    It's sandwiched between the innertube and the tire. I stuck it on with some wicked adheasive (3M 1300L). I used a small watch battery size magnet. The one I pried out of a fridge letter was a little weak.

I'll keep an eye on it.

okay, with tubes the magnet won't move. I was thinking tubeless for some reason.

any pics of this sensor setup? the more I think about it, the more problems I see...suspension travel causing intermittent signal, debris from the tire hitting/moving the sensor, etc. a picture would clear some things up.

mtbr member

Pick Up Pics

This is the prototype. I used a Bell wired computer from the grocery store. ($13.00) The wireless didn't have the range. I'll get a small neodymium supermagnet, then I can get more clearance. I'm going to machine out a aluminun holder, so it will double as a mud scraper. I'll have almost an inch clearance. This is just put on temporary with speed tape.

Mud dosen't seem to hurt it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cylcometer Magnet Placement-100_0481.jpg  

Cylcometer Magnet Placement-100_0482.jpg  

Cylcometer Magnet Placement-100_0483.jpg  

Cylcometer Magnet Placement-100_0484.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I like that setup. How is it going so far?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Wow, for some reason until seeing your pics, I never thought about putting the sensor on the rear wheel and computer down on the frame. Completely eliminates the issue with cord slack for the suspension on a hardtail. If I hadn't just finished mounting mine *just right* on the front *last night* I might be trying this out....

Your test looks good, the only concern I'd have with that placement would be mud/debris on the tire catching the sensor - that's some narrow clearance on the business side of the tire.