mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Cylcometer App for Windows Phone

Just as a heads up for anyone using Cyclometer for recording their rides/runs on a Windows Phone, you may (or may not) have noticed your climbs on Strava being abnormally fast. I noticed it this weekend after riding a particularly long, steep hill for the first time, yet I managed to place in the top 10 of a climb. This is because of the apps built in "resting" timing. Essentially if the user stands in the same place, the app records the position as the last 'moving' time, and continues timing when the user starts moving again. So you can rest, stop, admire the view, etc and then keep moving without a hit to a segment time. I emailed the developer about this, and he responded within an hour. Turns out he had been trying to build in the functionality so that if you got stuck at a traffic light, etc it wouldnt hurt you. But strava does this natively (hence the moving time vs total time). According to him, the fix for this should be out in the next 1-2 months, but it will take a while to rewrite because that functionality is in the very core coding of the app.

Even still, its (from what I feel) the best tracking app for Windows Phone, and it works with MapMyRide as well, AND you can export a straight GPX file. I highly recommend it, especially once the update comes out. Even though it costs like $3 for the full functionality, if its something you use on a regular basis, I dont think it can be beat (for Windows at least).

Guess I just wont be stopping on those climbs for the next couple of months!
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeltramo View Post
    So you can rest, stop, admire the view, etc and then keep moving without a hit to a segment time
    I thought Strava segments just used the closest recorded gps data point to the start and end point of the segment for working out your segment time. A percentage of your recorded gps data between these two points just need to fall within the segment's buffer zone to be recognized as riding the segment.
    The segment distance is set when created and your average speed for the segment is calculated using the segment set distance and your segment time. If your device/app is recording data 3 or 4 sec intervals your entry and exist of the segment could be out by seconds (your segment distance could be longer or shorter than the segment set distance) . Gps accuracy close to start and end of segment will also determine when your segment ride starts and stops.
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Your are correct in your understanding of how strava works, I dont think I explained what I meant by the timing part of it clear enough. My phone for example samples at a rate of 1 point per second. SO every second there is an updated point. Currently, when it detects that you are in the same position, it simply records that time again. So instead of recording as 1:23:13, 1:23:14, 1:23:15...etc, it records as 1:23:13, 1:23:13, 1:23:13, and then when you move it resumes normal sampling. So strava views these multiple data points for a time as the same 1 second interval. This would allow the not so honest user to stop, rest, and continue on without taking a hit to a time.
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi

mtbr member
    Thanks for clarifying the apps timing for me. Is it the time/date stamp that is modified in the GPX file?

Cylcometer App for Windows Phone-gps-data-800.jpg
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Yes, it is the date time stamp that is modified. another way I noticed it shows up on strava is it wont pick up on group rides, because your start finish time ends up being different.
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi