mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Cyclo Computer with Temperature reading

Hi im looking for a computer it would be used on a 29er. I would like it to have a temp reading. from this ones which one you guys recommend.

Serfas HWC-3 Level 2.2
    https://www.serfas.com/products/view...ries|computers

Bell F20
    Amazon.com: Bell F20 Cyclocomputer, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Schwinn 20-Function
    Amazon.com: Schwinn 20-Function Bike Computer: Sports & Outdoors

Planet Bike Protege 9.0
    Amazon.com: Planet Bike Protege 9.0 9-Function Bike Computer with 4-Line Display and Temperature: Sports & Outdoors

Bontrager Trip 2
    Bontrager: Trip 2 (Model #08863)

Thanks.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I had a Bell F12 or F15, something like that, similar to the F20. From what I remember, the temp wasn't very accurate -- it tended to read a few degrees high, but it worked well enough as a cheap speedometer.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have an older Planet Bike Protege and it's an excellent computer for the money. It's about 7 years old and still works great. I highly recommend it. I bought a couple of harnesses and switched it between bikes. The temp reading works, but will read higher when the sun hits it. I think you'll have the high reading problem with any unit you get when the sun hits it.

sheep in FOX clothing
    If they make a white or light-coloured model, it ought to give a better reading in the sun, although anything in direct sunlight will read high.

I'm trying to get a white rubberized casing for an Edge800 for this same reason... plus it will match the bike better...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    although anything in direct sunlight will read high.
    You would think so, but in reality it's not. My Polar S725x is dark, while Sigma BC14.12 is light, and they show pretty much same temperature, and even if they are mounted to handlebar, they show normal temperature even when riding with sun straight on meters. I have no idea how they do this, as I thought exactly same as you wrote, but they really show very accurate temperature even in such conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the Serfas. It works well enough for a cheapie.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by primoz View Post
    I have no idea how they do this, as I thought exactly same as you wrote, but they really show very accurate temperature even in such conditions.
    My Garmin did indeed max out at 36C yesterday, which was the temperature reported at the airport at that time, but I was on a somewhat shady commute and the sun was down a bit in the sky by 6pm. On long sunny rides it spikes up about 5C too high in the mid-day sun.

I've actually had much bigger disparities when it's really cold out (below freezing), but sunny. I have no idea why.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I ended up buying the planet bike.
    Look nice now have to wait for my new bike to get here

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Update:
    I adjusted it to my personal GPS now it read the right distance, the stock chart is off so the odo would give you more than the real distance. But now is working great.
    Also the Temp seem to be pretty accurate. Extremely happy with the purchase.