mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Cycling computer with Heart Rate Monitor? Suggestions?

It's been a while since I've had a cycling computer. I see there are wireless one's out there now. I'd like a cycling computer that has distance, time and average speed and it would be nice to also have a heart rate monitor. I have an old Polar Heart Rate monitor and transducer, but, I am shopping to see if I can have everything together on a cycling computer. For running, I'll just revive my old Polar monitor.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You may want to c/o the Cateye CC-HR200DW computer. Got on ebay for under $100.

mtbr member
    This one can be used while running or riding.

http://www.vdocyclecomputing.com/en/...z2/funktionen/
    IBEX Sports
    Importer / Distributor for Exposure Lights, U.S.E. and VDO Cycle computers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys
    It's been a while since I've had a cycling computer. I see there are wireless one's out there now. I'd like a cycling computer that has distance, time and average speed and it would be nice to also have a heart rate monitor. I have an old Polar Heart Rate monitor and transducer, but, I am shopping to see if I can have everything together on a cycling computer. For running, I'll just revive my old Polar monitor.
    Polar makes a cycling computer that is wireless and has all of what you requested. Their CS100 or CS100b has HR, time, distance, average speed and you can add cadence to it, too, if you wish. It'll store weekly and yearly time and distance totals for you. I have one computer and have sensors and a handlebar mount on both my road and my mountain bike (no cadence sensor on the mountain bike), so I can just swap the computer from one bike to the other. It has settings for 2 individual bikes. For about $100 it is pretty versatile.

The higher end verson (CS200?) lets you download all your info from the cycling computer to your PC. That is a little more tech than I needed.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    I am please with my Sigma ROX 9.0......for what that is worth.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks. These are all good suggestions.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Another option would be to pick up a Garmin forerunner 50 with HRM and their GSC10 cadence/speed sensor. They are $50 and $38, respectively, from Amazon with free shipping. The main benefit with this approach is that you can use their software to download and track your history and the sensors are compatible with other Garmin GPS units like the Edge if you someday upgrade. If you want to mount the watch on your handlebar, either spring for the mount or just wrap a couple layers of foam weatherstripping around the bar (which is what I did.)

Overall this is price competitive with dedicated cycling products but more flexible... and a bit more fiddly to get working completely... but it's working for me.

PS: See this activity link to see the information you get with this setup.
    Last edited by Tony; 08-20-2009 at 10:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Interesting. I'll check it out.