mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Cyclemeter for iPhone + Heart Rate

Does anyone out there use the Cyclemeter app for their iphone? I just downloaded it and it seems to be one of the best I have tried for the iphone.

I am curious to get thoughts about it from those that do use it - I am really interested in those that use it with the heart rate monitor as well (trying to loose weight and am deciding which HRM to buy).

Any thoughts on a HRM as a standalone or integrated into the iPhone would be great.

mtbr member
    I like cyclemeter and strava.
    I like cyclemeter for all of the data it collects and catalogs. I like Strava for the leader boards and altitude correction.

As much as I like them both I'd rather have a Garmin 500 with speed sensor.

As far as HRM anything ant+ will work (Wahoo or Garmin off the top of my head). I'm not sure if cyclemeter well work with the Wahoo Bluetooth HRM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks - They don't say much if anything about the bluetooth hrm...cyclemeter is pushing ant+.

mtbr member
    Just checked and the BT HRM does work with cyclemeter, but at $80 I don't see the benefit over a $50 ant+ monitor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Just checked and the BT HRM does work with cyclemeter, but at $80 I don't see the benefit over a $50 ant+ monitor.
    Where did you see it supports BT? I see they support smart BT but only on the iPhone 4S.

For me I'd have to buy the ant+ key and the ant hrm. So a standard BT hrm might be cheaper.

mtbr member
    Sorry. Should have been specific. You're right.
    It only works with the 4s.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You have to have the 4s for the BT HRM from Wahoo to work but it works really well.
    I have been using the BT HRM with Cyclemeter and it really works great.
    I know if you do not have the 4s it is not an option but I thought I would just throw this out there.
    Wahoo and others have the ANT+ options for the iPhone 4. I really like using the iPhone for a HR monitor. Using Cyclemeter I can see how long I stayed in certain HR zones on a ride. You can also set up the app to tell you when you reach or goal or if you need to speed up to reach it. You can even set up interval training so you will be told when to speed up and when to slow down. I have really enjoyed this so far. I have used the normal HRMís before and this just gives you more info to work with. Also since you use it as a GPS for you ride as well all your workout info is in one spot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I use cyclemeter but not the heart rate part. What would be a good one to use with the iphone 4?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    With the 4 I think you have to use ANT+ which means you have to get a case with the sensor. So you can either get a kit that will have the case adding ANT+ to your phone with a speed sensor, or plan on using GPS for that info and get a case with ANT+. That will only save you $30 though. If you donít have a compatible HR strap you will have to get that too. I donít think there are many options for this.

These are what I found.
    Wahoo Bike Pack for iPhone. I like the Bluetooth HRM but that is all I know about these. Best Buy is the only place I have seen Wahoo stuff but it was only their run pack.

iBike Dash Cycling Computer. This is what Apple sells, and I have seen in at Target. I like the case design since it has shock absorbing in it.

This will cost you $150 to $200 depending on if you already have a HR strap or not. Fort me I only needed the $80 Strap to make it work then I just need some case which I donít have yet. Fort now I will try a Otterbox Defender zip tied to my bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I use the wahoo run pack because I don't want my $600 iPhone strapped to my bars so it goes in my pack. Both cyclemeter and runtastic's mountain bike apps will speak to you during the ride so you don't really need to see the phone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly79 View Post
    You have to have the 4s for the BT HRM from Wahoo to work but it works really well.
    I have been using the BT HRM with Cyclemeter and it really works great.
    I know if you do not have the 4s it is not an option but I thought I would just throw this out there.
    Wahoo and others have the ANT+ options for the iPhone 4. I really like using the iPhone for a HR monitor. Using Cyclemeter I can see how long I stayed in certain HR zones on a ride. You can also set up the app to tell you when you reach or goal or if you need to speed up to reach it. You can even set up interval training so you will be told when to speed up and when to slow down. I have really enjoyed this so far. I have used the normal HRMís before and this just gives you more info to work with. Also since you use it as a GPS for you ride as well all your workout info is in one spot.
    Chiily79, thanks for your posting about the Wahoo Blue HRM. Its the one Im considering to add to what I already use in Cyclemeter, but I'm still a little concerned about the bluetooth reliability. I will have the sensor on my chest, but the iPhone in a jersey pocket on my back just below waist level. Will it work like that or will my body actually obstruct the signal. How do you have yours setup, on the bike, in an armband, or in a rear pocket like me? Easy to set up in Cyclemeter? I only use the gps time, speed and pace functions in Cyclemeter, along with the corresponding announcements. My cadence is on a separate Cateye. Thanks for any help you might have. Aloha .....
    Last edited by DEEjac; 03-27-2012 at 02:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEjac View Post
    Chiily79, thanks for your posting about the Wahoo Blue HRM. Its the one Im considering to add to what I already use in Cyclemeter, but I'm still a little concerned about the bluetooth reliability. I will have the sensor on my chest, but the iPhone in a jersey pocket on my back just below waist level. Will it work like that or will my body actually obstruct the signal. How do you have yours setup, on the bike, in an armband, or in a rear pocket like me? Easy to set up in Cyclemeter? I only use the gps time, speed and pace functions in Cyclemeter, along with the corresponding announcements. My cadence is on a separate Cateye. Thanks for any help you might have. Aloha .....
    The Bluetooth is very reliable, I never get any spikes like I saw with a regular HR strap using the ANT+. I have been putting my phone in my camel pack since I got the HR monitor but I just recently got the Wahoo bike case with an external battery. I have only had a couple of rides with the new bike case though. It always worked fine in my camel pack.

It was not hard to set up in Cyclometer. You just do it the once then it start automatically after that. You need to be sure to wet the sensors though so it will start picking up your heart rate.

I have experienced the whole issue about your body obstructing the signal with different blue tooth headphones I have tried. I am not for sure but it seems to me that is just the product throwing cheap Bluetooth hardware in the device. I had the Jaybird Freedom and those things would not work if my body came anywhere between my right ear and my phone. I have the LG tone now and they donít care where I put my phone. I can sit on it and they still work fine. Anyway the Wahoo Bluetooth strap works fine wherever you put your phone. It is one of the better blue tooth devices I have used.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks SO much, that's great information. You said you now use the bike pack with an external battery. I also have the flexibility to use a bike mount for my iPhone so thats also an alternative, but a recent crash has given me second thoughts about having it mounted on the bars. I'm curious, though, did you get the external battery because you were having issues with the iPhone battery running out. My rides are normally an hour or so, and average 12-18 miles. So far, I'm good with the battery using Pandora and Cyclemeter. Dont know how much drain the Blue HRM will have but reviews say its low. Thanks again for your great response.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    No the Blue HRM does not really take anymore battery than if you use the apps without it. I donít really see any difference with the HRM and battery life.
    I listen to audiobooks or music on my iPhone all day and I donít always get to charge it back up. Some of my rides are a couple of hours or more. Also since I mount the phone to my bars it is useless if the screen does not stay lit the whole time and a lit screen drains the battery fast. I was draining 50% of the battery in a workout in the gym. I use the cyclometer app for interval training on spin bikes.
    I wreck too but none seem bad enough to get through that case my phone is in. Also I would figure you are more likely to break your phone in a wreck if it is in your pocket or camel pack while you are rolling down a hill. I also have the Apple warranty which will cover two breaks anyways. I figure I would not be likely to break the phone three times in one year. Granted if I broke it twice I would stop using it on the bike.