mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Creating, then uploading GPX files to my Garmin

Hello all. I know this has been discussed years ago, and I even did it years ago, but I cannot remember how, and a very brief forum search did not yeild much.

This is what I want to do.
    1. Create a dirt road route on my laptop (not sure which software to use, Google maps)
    2. Take said dirt road route and upload it into my edge 705 (I have had great success loading it onto my memory card separately in the way past).
    3. Pull up the map in my GPS and follow the route.

The biggest challenge I have is finding a mapping program that lets you mark a route and then saves the file as a GPX file. I have watched some youtube videos for drivers that recommend also using a 3rd party software program to save routes, but I have to believe there is an easier way. Any ideas?

Third party software tends to be better than most other options. Topofusion is my favorite. Can do what you're asking, plus a lot of other things.

I believe map my ride has an online route generator. Great for roads that are on the map as it will snap to those roads if you tell it to. Not as good if you want to deviate from the roads onto the trails, as few trails if any appear on the basemaps. I think I have heard of some issues people have had with compatibility of those files with their Garmins. Sometimes it works, sometimes there's some kind of formatting issue that breaks the functionality. Try it, since it's free. But for my money, I'd rather use 3rd party software. Not all web-based tools are better than software you install on your computer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks NateHawk. So to make sure I understand you on the 3rd party idea. So you go into something like google. Create a map, and then upload it to topofusion, then to the Garmin?? Or are you creating maps in topofusion and taking them straight to the Garmin?

Thanks.
    RickM

make it in topofusion and send to Garmin. you can either tell Topofusion to send it over, or move it yourself through a file manager into the gpx folder on the Garmin.

EMBA Member
    Just like Nate says, the Topofusion is a great program. At his suggestion I have been playing with it for a few weeks now having not done anything like that before. There is a demo version that works pretty good but I will be upgrading here in the near future. It recognizes and transfers files from my Garmin Map60 very well. I just wish I had more time to play with it. Good luck and have fun. Slim

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ridewithgps.com will do this for you for free

copied from there site

"To put a GPX file on your Edge 605 or Edge 705, export the desired file from our site. Once you have the file saved on your computer (remember where you saved it, whether that’s the desktop or downloads folder or wherever), you can transfer it to the Garmin. Every computer is different, but the general idea is that the Edge 605/705 acts like a USB thumb drive. Plugging it into your computer should allow you to view the files stored on the unit. Once you have it plugged in, open up the “drive” associated with the GPS unit, then open the “Garmin” folder inside the drive. You’ll now see a list of several files/folders. One of the folders is called “GPX” – if it doesn’t exist you may need to create it. You should copy (drag the icon) the file to this folder. If you are transferring a TCX file, you will place it in the Courses folder (which is also found under the root Garmin folder). Once done, safely remove the GPS unit. “Safely remove” means follow your systems instructions for removing a USB flash drive. This, on Windows systems, is usually done by clicking the remove hardware icon in the lower right corner of the screen, next to the clock. On OS X, you can eject the device from the Finder to accomplish this.

Once the file is transferred to the Edge and the Edge is safely removed from the computer, power the device up. If you placed a GPX file in the Garmin/GPX folder, you will find it on your device under Menu – Where To? – Saved Rides. If you placed a TCX file in the Garmin/Courses folder, you will find your route under Menu – Training – Courses. From there it should be fairly self explanatory. Please practice navigating a route with something simple, around your neighborhood, and don’t try to do this the first time before a big ride with friends."
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!