mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Consumer Electronics Show

I'm guessing the people at Garmin will bring something new to maket before the end of 09...Edge 805 maybe? Anyone know?

mtbr member
    wot? I just bought the 705...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    wot? I just bought the 705...
    I have no "inside" information, it's just that from what I've read the 705 has been on the market for over 3 years. That's an incredibly long time for electronics, I'm sure there've been upgrades but still. Originally I was sold on the 305 but the more I read it seems I better save more and get the 705, so my thinking was to wait till an 805 or whatever model supercedes the 705 which will hopefully push the 705 down in price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGESAM
    I have no "inside" information, it's just that from what I've read the 705 has been on the market for over 3 years. That's an incredibly long time for electronics, I'm sure there've been upgrades but still. Originally I was sold on the 305 but the more I read it seems I better save more and get the 705, so my thinking was to wait till an 805 or whatever model supercedes the 705 which will hopefully push the 705 down in price.
    I had the same thoughts before I purchased my 705. I looked up the realease date of the 605/705 and found that it was released Q1 2008... making it 1.5 years old. They just had a shortage in production making me wonder if they are retooling for a new model. I went ahead and purchased the 705 since I think they will just stop production of the 705 if an 805 is released. After seeing this recent shortage of 705's it doesnt seem like they sit on the shelf very long so I dont know how much the price will drop with the release of an 805. I have a feeling that when the 805 (or whatever it will be called) is released that it will be cheaper than a 705 (but not initially so that the stores can clear their shelves of the 605/705). Just my assumptions, but...the 805 also probably wont come with an A/C charger, will come with one mount instead of two, heart rate monitor/cadence will be sold as accesories and not packaged together, etc etc whatever to make up for the cost difference.
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 08-11-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA
    Just my assumptions, but...the 805 also probably wont come with an A/C charger, will come with one mount instead of two, heart rate monitor/cadence will be sold as accesories and not packaged together, etc etc whatever to make up for the cost difference.
    Quite silly assumptions,too. Do you think it will charge by USB by plugging it into a PC? That's silly.

No idea on the mount issue. I suspect the two mounts are included because of the breakage history on those release tabs. If they fix the problem, ,then sure, one mount will do. I also think it silly to not offer a package that includes the basic accessories. The Edge 705 is offered with or without them now. Why not the successor?

But seriously, a price drop on the older models makes more sense. Garmin has traditionally used that technique when releasing new product. My 76 used to retail for $550 shortly after release. What's it sell for nowadays? Less than $300.

But this is all theory since nobody here REALLY knows whether Garmin will be releasing a new model or not. If someone has something more concrete to go off of, then we can talk details a bit more seriously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    Quite silly assumptions,too. Do you think it will charge by USB by plugging it into a PC? That's silly.
    Thats what they did with the NUVI series... I thought it was silly too.

But seriously, a price drop on the older models makes more sense. Garmin has traditionally used that technique when releasing new product. My 76 used to retail for $550 shortly after release. What's it sell for nowadays? Less than $300.
    Garmin appears to be the sole player in cycling GPS units so I dont know why they would compete with themselves. That's the only reason why I see them pricing it that way. Drop the price to eliminate the 205/305/605/705 and offer one do it all unit. I mean, isnt it silly to have a 605 with absolutely no ability to add a HRM but for only a hundred dollars more you can get the 705 with one (Realize, you can by a watch style HRM for less than 40 bucks, 55 with the ability to upload to a PC including all software).
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 08-11-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Thats what they did with the NUVI series... I thought it was silly too.

Garmin appears to be the sole player in cycling GPS units so I dont know why they would compete with themselves. That's the only reason why I see them pricing it that way. Drop the price to eliminate the 205/305/605/705 and offer one do it all unit. I mean, isnt it silly to have a 605 with absolutely no ability to add a HRM but for only a hundred dollars more you can get the 705 with one (Realize, you can by a watch style HRM for less than 40 bucks, 55 with the ability to upload to a PC including all software).
    So you'd say it's funny that they offer both the 60 and 76 (functionally identical) in both a Cx and CSx version? That they also offer ETrex models with similar functionality? Some people have no need/want for a HRM. Some people have no need/want for mapping capability. Look at all the Forerunner models. Tons of pricepoints, tons of feature lists.

Garmin has not really displayed that tendency that you describe, except for when they phased out the receivers lacking high sensitivity chipsets. That still took a year or so. But that was a MAJOR functional improvement, and making units with both chipsets was dumb.

Now I bought a Nuvi less than a year ago. It comes with a car charger. It's a car GPS. It makes sense. I don't have to charge it at my PC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Now I bought a Nuvi less than a year ago. It comes with a car charger. It's a car GPS. It makes sense. I don't have to charge it at my PC.
    My Nuvi came with a wall charger, case, 2 mounts, and a car charger.... They dont sell them like that anymore and I dont blame them. What does a new Nuvi cost today? $200? You gotta save money somewhere. They do offer those items as accesories though. I think if you were to buy that $200 Garmin and buy those accesories it would add up to what I paid for mine. I still dont see how having a car charger as your only charger makes sense... It's kinda like having a solar powered flashlight.

Wanderer
    I'm hoping they come out with an updated one also. Have a 305 now and am happy with it but would prefer a better battery life, larger screen and color. Heres hoping it comes out soonish.

My Nuvi came with a wall charger, case, 2 mounts, and a car charger.... They dont sell them like that anymore and I dont blame them. What does a new Nuvi cost today? $200? You gotta save money somewhere. They do offer those items as accesories though. I think if you were to buy that $200 Garmin and buy those accesories it would add up to what I paid for mine. I still dont see how having a car charger as your only charger makes sense... It's kinda like having a solar powered flashlight.
    I don't need anything but a car charger. Where else would I use the Nuvi?