mtbr member

Considering "upgrading" from FR305 to Edge500

I've been running a FR305 for a couple of years now. It was my jogging/running partner for a couple of years prior, but I gave that up and am now looking for a bike specific GPS, with HR and speed and cadence data recording all in one unit.

Using Garmin connect for my FR305 data has been fine for me also, except for having to correct mileage every time using a cyclocomputer. Arrrgh. GPS cuts out about 10-15% of each rides mileage.

What I don't know is will Garmin connect upload and display all the data from a 500 with HR/cadence/speed( from sensor)? I thought I may have read that cadence is not uploaded or stored?

*edit- I scrolled past calories on my connect site and saw columns for cadence, so I guess it does record/upload it all...

If GC doesn't do all this, who might for the Edge 500.
    Is there a comparable price and performance do it all GPS/HR/cad/spd unit and alternate logging website anyone might suggest I look into?
    Last edited by Noclutch; 11-08-2012 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Garmin connect does display all of the data. I have both the FR305 and the Edge 500. I compared them on one ride and it appeared that the Edge 500 was slightly more accurate. The screen on the Edge is much easier to read when riding and I prefer to leave my FR305 set for running and have a dedicated GPS for cycling.

I set the unit to not use Auto Start/Stop, use 1 second recording and I entered my wheel circumference vs. using Auto and letting it calculate.

The Edge 500 is very easy to move between bicycles(up to 3) and it comes with two mounts. You will need to get a second GSC 10 sensor for each bike.

I did buy the K-Edge aluminum mounts for my MTBs though. I prefer having the unit a little further in front and the mount is more secure, in my opinion, than the large rubber o-rings that Garmin provides. I use the stock mount on my road bike.

Besides Garmin Connect, Strava will also recognize the Edge when it is connected to your computer. This allows you to easily upload and Strava also will capture the HR and cadence data. I also like to upload some of my tracks to Garmin Base Camp, particularly when I want to produce or share maps of the trail areas.

With the deals that are available, I don't think you will find a better solution, unless you want to spend more for the Edge 800 with mapping. When I need the mapping out on the trail, I carry a GPSmap 62stc, which will also pickup the speed/cadence and HRM data. With a carabiner, I can snap it onto a Camelback, although Garmin does make a bike mount for it also.

mtbr member
    Thanks RMT! Great feedback from one with perspective. Like that K edge mount, too.

So will a 500 with GSC 10 record cadence, speed, distance in addition to GPS tracking and HR that is ALL uploadable to Strava? I thought I'd read somewhere that one had to choose either or on some of these things...

Thx again

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    So will a 500 with GSC 10 record cadence, speed, distance in addition to GPS tracking and HR that is ALL uploadable to Strava?
    Yes, all, at one-second intervals if you so choose.

Note that Strava uses only the GPS time vs. position on segment leaderboard calculations, but for your ride totals, all those metrics will be displayed.

If you have a power meter it will log that too, if not Strava will do a dubious calculation from speed and slope.

The 500 also does a running log of temperature, if you think that's relevant Although I'm not sure exactly what the sampling interval is, it's enough for yet another graph in garmin connect.

mtbr member
    Thanks ghettocruiser.
    LOL and no, the temp isn't important to me as here in Florida it is either hot and humid, really feaking hot and not so humid, not quite so hot and less humid too, or cool (60's) and dry (a few days a year) or cool and humid ( a few more days per year) or really freakin cold (ie in the 40's- a few days a year)

sheep in FOX clothing
    Strava just reports an average temperature, which on a short cold ride gives a pretty meaningless number.

It was just above freezing here this morning, but the Edge was warm from being in the house, and the thermometer didn't reach 2C until 20 minutes into the ride when I was arriving at work.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I recently upgraded to an Edge 800 and love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I attached a screenshot of a ride in Strava using the Edge 500. Notice I selected all of the options under performance. Also, I can switch the x-axis to either time or distance. I don't have a power meter, but Strava calculates it. As stated, it just shows an average temperature in the top right block, as well as avg and max HR.

Glad I could help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considering "upgrading" from FR305 to Edge500-strava-500.jpg