mtbr member

Confused, Garmin Etrex Venture HC

I recently got a Garmin Etrex Venture HC for trail navigation. I've got the software portion and how to upload maps/tracks (with waypoints, track has been shortened to 500 points) to the device portion down, but now how the heck do I use this when i'm out at the trailhead? lol, sorry if this is a dumb question.

Do I just follow the arrow in map view mode of the trail? The compass will only navigate me if I select a waypoint I want to go to correct? I'm thinking of using it this way, although I have not tried it yet; start off at waypoint #1, then select navigate to waypoint #2, then follow the compass until I reach #2, then continue this process?

This is the test trail I'm going to use it on first before I take it out to more difficult trails: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=190 .This trail is right by me, so I can't get lost on this one, so it is a great place to gain knowledge on how to use this device properly.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Your right it will only navigate to the waypoint you select. It will only point in a straight line to that waypoint. The way I use mine is to create one at the start of my ride and then when I'm good and lost on the trails I navigate back to the waypoint. Or you can follow the breadcrumb track back if you want to retrace your route.

mtbr member
    Ok, glad to hear i'm on the right track.

One more question. When I download a track without any waypoints, and the track only has "points" (ex. 500 points), does "points" mean the same thing as "breadcrumbs" (that was created from the person that created the track)?

saddlemeat
    If you keep the bread crumb trail on the screen, you can always see where you are in relation to where you started and where you have been. Zoom it to see as much of the bc trail as you desire. Your position is the arrow on the lower center of the screen. If you have a map loaded you will see the bct on the map.

"Points = breadcrumbs, a waypoint is a single point, a track is a group of points along a line of travel.

mtbr member
    Makes sense now, thanks for all your help. Can't wait to go exploring.