mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Computer on thru-axle?

Hey Guys-

I recently bought a 12 Specialized Enduro Comp. It has the Rock Shox Reba with 20mm Thru-Axle... I know I am in the minority for running a computer on my particular type of bike, but I really like tracking my mileage, time and speed... Is there any compuer that will work for this type of bike? The distance between where the fork and spokes are is a very long way and I am thinking no magnet will be able to register... My question is, will any cyclo-computer work? I have run $30 computers in the past and been completely satisfied, so I am not looking for anything super expensive. Wireless is best. Thanks in advance.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Been running a wireless computer on a 20mm downhill fork since 2003 without issue. I had to mount the wireless relay almost completely sideways (instead of forward-facing) to get it close enough to the spokes and magnet as you note, but I'm sure you could use some rubber blocks as spacers if that didn't work.

mtbr member
    Garmin Edge 200. It's a basic GPS system so there are no wires or sensors needed. Just mount the computer and go. Simple and easy without all that other useless data that roadies think they need.

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47 View Post
    Garmin Edge 200. It's a basic GPS system so there are no wires or sensors needed. Just mount the computer and go. Simple and easy without all that other useless data that roadies think they need.
    and multiple examples in here show that the data is crap on mtb trails.

mtbr member
    and multiple examples in here show that the data is crap on mtb trails.
    Good to know. I'll have to do some checking. I only suggested it because that's what I want. Is it because of the lost reception with tree cover or it just isn't sensitive enough to measure smally turns ans such...or both?

Are the higher, more expensive models more accurate?

Good to know. I'll have to do some checking. I only suggested it because that's what I want. Is it because of the lost reception with tree cover or it just isn't sensitive enough to measure smally turns ans such...or both?

Are the higher, more expensive models more accurate?
    it's purely a recording interval problem. this model only allows the "auto" setting which messes up twisty singletrack. this one is good for tracking road rides and that's about it.

a GPS for mountain biking needs 1 sec recording intervals as an option. there's no way around it. other recording intervals miss too much and throw off readings. ability to use a speed sensor will give even better distance readings. Thinking about adding one for my Oregon 450.

mtbr member
    I don't understand the point of adding a speed sensor. I might as well just put a $30 wireless computer on the bike.

I understand the need and logic considering the inacuracy but for the cost and original purpose of going GPS it doesn't make sense.

I can also imagine if you found a until that would have 1 sec recording intervals, the battery life would suck!

I don't understand the point of adding a speed sensor. I might as well just put a $30 wireless computer on the bike.

I understand the need and logic considering the inacuracy but for the cost and original purpose of going GPS it doesn't make sense.

I can also imagine if you found a until that would have 1 sec recording intervals, the battery life would suck!
    recording interval does not affect battery life appreciably. things like screen size, electronic compass, etc have more of a bearing on battery life.

the point of the GPS is RECORDING the ride. a basic bike computer won't allow you to download your ride data to the computer and overlay the GPS data onto a map for any purpose you might ever want. sure, who NEEDS that? for me, it allows me to extend my enjoyment of the ride by helping me to remember my ride in the future, along with any photos or videos I might have obtained. nobody NEEDS it.

as for using a speed sensor to improve distance accuracy, it's a relatively minor improvement to the distance measurements in most cases. but I do like to get a general idea of how many miles I rode on my mtb over the course of the year. a couple tenths of a mile of improved accuracy per ride for a year can add up.

if you don't want any of that functionality, that's up to you, but saying it doesn't make sense doesn't always fit. it depends on your priorities. I got a GPS for other stuff first, and started using it on the bike later. and I didn't even download tracks from my GPS for a few years after I started using it on the bike because I only used it to spot check my location on new trails. my use has changed over the years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Will the cheap $30 computers handle a 29er wheel size? Anyone using one with success? thx

mtbr member
    Many of them will. Some of them will offer you to input 2 different sizes. I use a VDO X3DW and can use 2 different sizes, although, mine was 50 bucks, I'm pretty sure I've seen some in the 30-35 dollar range.
    2004 Foes Mono
    2009 Santa Cruz Heckler
    1999 Klein Mantra Comp
    1999 Klein Mantra Comp