mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Compare Garmins topos w/ Misc. Junk Free topos?

Has anyone compared these two? I currently use the misc. junk ones for CO and UT and think they're great, but it just seems like they're missing some of the smaller county roads and such. I've never seen the Garmin version an am wondering if they're more detailed in terms of roads - albeit with less contours. I'm talking about the original Garmin version - not the 24k ones. The way I use the my vista, I just don't feel like I need that many contours, but I do need access roads.
    Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    I have both, and have used them mostly in utah but also some in Colorado. Typically, the miscjunk ones are better....detail wise and accuracy of where the road really is. Sometimes I'll switch to the garmin one to double check something, or look at both in mapsource if I'm planning a ride. Sometime garmin has information that miscjunk doesn't but usually it seems the other way around I rarely use the garmin maps in the field much preferring the miscjunk ones.

Miscjunk has an updater that you can install. If you've been using the utah map for more than a couple of months, there's a pretty nice revision out, but you have to use the updater. It's on the site.

If there are a couple of areas you would like to see a comparison on, I could probably throw up a few screen shots. Just let me know where you'd like to see the examples.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

trail rat
    Here is the same ride on Garmin Topo compared to the California 20 foot Topo from GPS File Depot, referenced on the Misc Junk site. Quite a difference!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    I'm bored so I thought I'd post this example up from near Moab

Miscjunk:
    miscjunk.jpg

Garmin Topo 2008:

mapsource.jpg

Edit: I should have zoomed in one more level, that would have showed all the addtional contour lines available in miscjunk also.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......