Scott in Tucson

Colorado Trail Race GPS/SPOT Replays

Thought some of you GPS nuts would like seeing an application of GPS, satellite messaging and map software.

The second annual Colorado Trail Race started July 28th. 23 mountain bikers lined up to race 530 miles of singletrack from Denver to Durango. This race is epic with a capital E!

Some of the racers carried SPOT tracking units, allowing their progress to be tracked as the 5 - 8 day race rolled on. It was really cool to get an instant update on everyone's position.

I was able to export GPX files for everyone's points and put together a replay of the race so far. Here's the first four days (link to vimeo--for some reason embedding isn't working on mtbr):

http://www.vimeo.com/1450366

And the latter half of the race:

http://vimeo.com/1467005

Fun stuff.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

GeoMan
    We've been selling the SPOT units for some time and feel there is a definite niche for them in cycling. I have yet to have to activate one in an emergency situation but it is good to have around should the need arise even with the nominal monthly subscription cost.

Cool stuff.

BTW, there's a cheaper option in the TracMe unit. No subscription required but there are trade-offs.

Enjoy!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Scott in Tucson
    Yep, the SPOT units seem to work pretty well, from what I've seen of the racer's data.

One of this year's racers ended up falling off a cliff and cutting a huge gash in his leg. He used the 911 feature, which saved him several hours on the extract time.

Details here:

SPOT 911 Worked for me
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    Thought some of you GPS nuts would like seeing an application of GPS, satellite messaging and map software.

The second annual Colorado Trail Race started July 28th. 23 mountain bikers lined up to race 530 miles of singletrack from Denver to Durango. This race is epic with a capital E!

Some of the racers carried SPOT tracking units, allowing their progress to be tracked as the 5 - 8 day race rolled on. It was really cool to get an instant update on everyone's position.

I was able to export GPX files for everyone's points and put together a replay of the race so far. Here's the first four days (link to vimeo--for some reason embedding isn't working on mtbr):

http://www.vimeo.com/1450366

And the latter half of the race:

http://vimeo.com/1467005

Fun stuff.
    Very cool stuff.
    I have a dumb question. When I played the 1450366 video some of the red dots did not stay on course. Were theses guys/gals cheating?

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackLovr
    Very cool stuff.
    I have a dumb question. When I played the 1450366 video some of the red dots did not stay on course. Were theses guys/gals cheating?
    Good question. No, there's no reason to believe anyone cut the course, as far as the data is concerned.

The software interpolates the current position based on the last known point and next known point. It's pretty clear that some folks were carrying their SPOT units in better places than others. My guess is that the people making b-lines across the mountains in the replay simply had their SPOT in their pack, or otherwise buried.