mtbr member

Chromebook and Garmin

So I am thinking of getting a chromebook since my laptop was stolen. I am curious if I can still upload to strava from my Edge 305 via USB with one though. Searched but no luck.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

that's a good question. I have no idea if Garmin Communicator will work on Chrome OS. This sounds like a good question to ask Garmin.

mtbr dismember
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 02-01-2014 at 08:20 PM.

I bet the Windows tablets will work fine. It's just those with other OSes that may be difficult.

I would bet that if you can save a ride to the microSD card, you could then put that card into a tablet to do a manual file upload if the card shows up under the browser when you hit manual file upload.

This brings to mind how long it took Garmin to support Macs. I'm sure part of it has to do with the limitations of the OS itself. But people are starting to want to get rid of laptops and desktops for smaller devices. This is a big reason why I do not see getting rid of my desktop anytime soon. I do too much content creation that requires more processing oomph and flexibility than consumption devices allow. Even using a laptop for some of the things I do is tedious. And manipulating maps and geographic data are a big reason I won't be moving away from Windows for good, either.

So in large part, my decisions about which computing devices to purchase are largely determined by the things I do and the software I use.

mtbr dismember

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I would bet that if you can save a ride to the microSD card, you could then put that card into a tablet to do a manual file upload if the card shows up under the browser when you hit manual file upload.
    My Android ASUS Transformer tablet recognizes files in the GPS memory (not the microSD card) which you can upload manually. I have to take out the micro SD card, stick it into a USB stick, and upload manually. I assume I could also put it into a SD card adapter and plug it directly into the SD slot on the keyboard.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 02-01-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Nope, I spent a lot of time on this and also researched it in the Garmin forums.
    that sucks. guess that will keep me off of other tablet OSes and tied into the Windows environment on just about all my devices for the forseeable future. At some point, I will be looking to replace my now-dead laptop with a tablet for travel purposes. the biggest thing it needs to be able to do is manage files from my still cameras, GoPro, and GPSes.

mtbr member
    So far from what I have read, the tablet computers (is Chromebook a tablet? I am computer dumb for sure) are not yet rated acceptable for serious photo/video editors unless using an app like Picasa. Yeah I know it is super basic, but for phone pic users like me, it works. Remember, I am still using an Edge 305. I am old school and would still use a VIC20 if I could get away with it-lol!

Also no info that is reliable about being able to use Garmin Comm on one yet. I will post what I can find and understand.

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr dismember

Eureka!

Eureka! I decided to go back and try manual upload again on my Android ASUS Transformer TF700T and it worked! I don't know what has changed since I tried numerous times last summer. I suspect it is the new file manager I installed, ES File Explorer because I couldn't upload to either Garmin Connect nor Strava. Now I can do manual uploads to both. This is great news for when I'm on biking tips. When you attach the full keyboard to the Transformer you have one incredibly thin and light tablet that now does just about everything.

good to hear it works.

I'm a little unclear on the procedure, though. Are you saying that using the memory card slot on the device itself does not work at all, and that you even have to remove the card for the USB method to work? It's kinda odd, but I wonder if there's some kind of hardware restriction on the number of additional devices can be connected at once?

mtbr member
    Nice-

The Garmin site is poop, no surprise right? I have decided when the insurance check comes to just pick up another standard laptop with a standard windows OS. Thanks for the replies!

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr dismember
    If I plug the GPS unit into tablet via USB it only recognizes the internal memory, not the microSd card. As you probably know a regular computer would recognize both. But I can take the microSD card out of the GPS and plug it into the tablet USB port and the tablet recognizes it. I can't find my microSD to SD card converter but I would assume that would just plug into the SD card slot on the keyboard base. I would probably go that route since I use the USB port for a mouse, which I need for serious computing.

This is a real game changer for me and I am now exploring serious Photo editing tools that work on raw files. Then I would have an excellent travel computer.

If I plug the GPS unit into tablet via USB it only recognizes the internal memory, not the microSd card. As you probably know a regular computer would recognize both. But I can take the microSD card out of the GPS and plug it into the tablet USB port and the tablet recognizes it. I can't find my microSD to SD card converter but I would assume that would just plug into the SD card slot on the keyboard base. I would probably go that route since I use the USB port for a mouse, which I need for serious computing.

This is a real game changer for me and I am now exploring serious Photo editing tools that work on raw files. Then I would have an excellent travel computer.
    Ahhhh, I see what you're saying. In my original comment, I was not suggesting trying to read the microSD card from the GPS. Rather, I was making the assumption that most tablets have their own mircoSD card slots and you could just transfer the card from the GPS to the tablet, read the file, and upload from there. Didn't stop to think that there are tablets out there with regular sized SD card slots, since it seems there are so few anymore.

mtbr dismember

Garmin Connect redesign

Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    The Garmin site is poop, no surprise right?
    Garmin announced a redesign but they only said coming in Q1. The search feature is my only major complaint.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Chromebook and Garmin

You can manually upload through a Chromebook. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Shopping for a Chromebook or Android tablet as well. Sounds like no problems in connecting a Garmin 500 to either one through the USB port (adapter required for the tablet). Then just manually finding the file as if using an external drive. Correct???

Working for everyone on Strava, TrainingPeaks, and Garmin Connect?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mtbr dismember

Re: Chromebook and Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Shopping for a Chromebook or Android tablet as well. Sounds like no problems in connecting a Garmin 500 to either one through the USB port (adapter required for the tablet). Then just manually finding the file as if using an external drive. Correct???

Working for everyone on Strava, TrainingPeaks, and Garmin Connect?

I'm doing manual uploads to Garmin Connect and Strava via my 800.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm doing manual uploads to Garmin Connect and Strava via my 800.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk
    Thanks, thought so, but wanted to confirm prior to buying.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Not sure if you have a newer iPhone or Android phone but if you do it would be cheaper to sell your 500 and pick up a 510 which will upload wirelessly via Bluetooth on your phone and Garmin Connect app. Plus Live Tracking! Cheaper than buying a new laptop anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Back to the drawing board; connected my 500 to a display Chromebook (HP14 and Samsung). Went through the "files" icon and it wasn't recognized. It could be due to a locked down display model, but I don't think it was locked down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've been looking for something similar, but no luck. However, if you've got a 510/810 there's a pretty nice solution.

https://tapiriik.com/

With that site, you can sync a bunch of different stuff. I'm able to upload my 510 files to garmin connect via bluetooth, then have this site sync GC to Training Peaks. All the data crosses over with no issue so far. Only downside is it takes a little time ~60mins. For $5 it'll do it automatically. When I'm home, I still upload through the computer and cable, but on the road, this has been working well.

Would love a chromebook or cheap version of a macbook air that do this stuff, download/store gopro videos, etc...Soon maybe

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Bump to see if anyone is having luck in uploading from 500 via chromebook.