fliernh
    Aug 2008

Charging away from the grid?

I have an Edge 705 and am going on a 6 day camping/MTB trip with no access to power. Has anyone found a good way to charge GPS units while away from the power system and vehicles? Weight is not an issue as I will be coming back to a base camp each night, just no power there. Thanks for any thoughts and experiences.
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can get a dynamo charger designed to charge cell phones in emergencies (search ebay or amazon for "dynamo charger"). The only thing is you'll probably have to crank for about 30 mins or more to get a full charge. There are also solar power chargers that charge rechargable batteries that can be used to charge your GPS (search ebay or amazon for "solar power charger"). With the solar power charger, you could probably rig it to your handlebar so that it charges your GPS while you ride (as long as it is sunny).
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    You can get a dynamo charger designed to charge cell phones in emergencies (search ebay or amazon for "dynamo charger"). The only thing is you'll probably have to crank for about 30 mins or more to get a full charge. There are also solar power chargers that charge rechargable batteries that can be used to charge your GPS (search ebay or amazon for "solar power charger"). With the solar power charger, you could probably rig it to your handlebar so that it charges your GPS while you ride (as long as it is sunny).
    Good thought on the Dynamo chargers. The solar thing won't work as I don't want to mount anything on the bike and charging will have to happen at night so no sun. I though I had seen a rechargeable charging station that would provide enough power for 3-4 small item charges but I cannot find anything about it. Thanks for the input.
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You don't have to use the solar charger to charge as you go if you don't want to. It has it's own battery that it charges and uses that battery to charge other stuff when plugged in. As long as you kept it in the light during the day, you could still charge your GPS at night. I don't know if it would give you a full charge or not. Both chargers are pretty cheap so you can get both the dynamo and solar chargers and play around with them. If nothing else, you'll always have extra juice for your cell phone if the battery ever died.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    You don't have to use the solar charger to charge as you go if you don't want to. It has it's own battery that it charges and uses that battery to charge other stuff when plugged in. As long as you kept it in the light during the day, you could still charge your GPS at night. I don't know if it would give you a full charge or not. Both chargers are pretty cheap so you can get both the dynamo and solar chargers and play around with them. If nothing else, you'll always have extra juice for your cell phone if the battery ever died.

That is something I did not understand. That is great. Do you have any experience with specific models/brands that you would recommend?

Thanks, sounds like a good option.
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've only used the dynamo chargers. I have a couple different ones but I would suggest the Datexx SuperBattery. I got mine a while ago from Amazon for about $40. You can read about it on their web site: http://my.datexx.com/consumer/productinfo.html?p=LED-99 The good thing about the SuperBattery is that you can charge it from an outlet and use built in battery to charge your gadget. So if you are going to have access to an outlet every couple of days, you may not even have to bother with cranking. A dynamo charger with no reserve battery would be cheaper, but you will only be able to charge your gadget by cranking the motor.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The is also this product: http://my.datexx.com/consumer/produc...ml?p=BT-USB-AA which uses AA batteries to charge your device. If you used this, you would just need to bring along extra batteries on your trip.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

trail rat
    I use the energizer power to go. Works great, and I have many rechargeable batteries that I use at home for many things. Just throw it and a bunch of batteries in the car. (Keep the batteries cool during the day, or they loose charge fast.)

CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I use the energizer power to go. Works great, and I have many rechargeable batteries that I use at home for many things. Just throw it and a bunch of batteries in the car. (Keep the batteries cool during the day, or they loose charge fast.)

I have a Turbo Charge TB550 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8153387.stm .

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for all of the input. I decided to try the solar route with the built in battery where you can use the solar charger to keep the charge on the internal battery and then use that battery to charge a device. I am trying the Solio solar/hybrid charger and will let everyone know how that works out. Should be here in a couple of days.

Cheers
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

My other ride is your mom
    any status on the effectiveness of the solar charging? I too have a 705 which could benefit from this if it works out....I'd much rather go this route than carrying the Turbo Charge...or many turbo charges....

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    any status on the effectiveness of the solar charging? I too have a 705 which could benefit from this if it works out....I'd much rather go this route than carrying the Turbo Charge...or many turbo charges....
    I head out on my trip in three days, I will report back when I return next week.

Cheers
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    I said I would report back when I returned from my trip. The Solio worked great. The weather was severe clear each day and I am sure that helped as well as starting out with it fully charged. I rode between 5 and 7 hours each day and was able to keep my edge 705 topped off for the whole week. Another person on the trip had a 305 and the solio charger and kept both her 305 and her husbands 705 going for the 5 days. The last day, they were pretty much out of juice because one day she did not get any charge due to placement of the solio that day (it ended up in the shade most of the day while we were riding.) She mentioned that she tied the solio to her camelback for a 16 hour ride earlier in the summer and it kept her 305 going for the full 16 hours with power to spare.

Overall I am quite satisfied with the unit and look forward to using it again.
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

My other ride is your mom
    sweet....thanks for the update....mind sharing which model.....?

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    sweet....thanks for the update....mind sharing which model.....?
    Sorry, I have been out for a while. I used the Soilo Magnesium Edition. It has a higher capacity battery which comes in handy. Good luck.
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race