Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cell phone mount for 31.6 bars? Where are they?

904 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  random walk 
#1 ·
Heya, looking for a descent cell phone mount for a Samsung S3 that doesn't cost me more than the phone did. I thinking around $20 tops.
Sadly, I can't seem to find any that fit 31.6 bars at all, there are some stem mount options, but those seem to be $$$$$.

Anyone able to point me in a direct, clicked on dam near everything on ebay and amazon and found nothing.

#3 ·
Spending $80 for a cell phone mount I'll use maybe once or twice a year on longer trips sounds like an even worse plan honestly. How long do you think a cell phone lasts?
You get maybe 2 years max out of a phone anymore.

Whats the resale value of plastic mounts for phones that are obsolete?

That roughly $20-40 per day of use. If I wanted to piss away my money on crap I don't need for a sport I play, I'd continue to play golf.
Unfortunately not everyone that posts on this board are independantly wealthy heirs to a family fortune.

I'd also like to find a CS-Type mounting bracket for my action camera that fits on 31.6 bars as well.

#4 ·
my comment is directed at the lower quality/durability of cheaper mounts being a high risk for your expensive phone for the times you do choose to use it on the bike. The cost of the mount is a drop in the bucket compared to the REAL cost of the phone (not the subsidized costs from the phone carrier, which you are still paying through high monthly bills and contracts).

In spite of the loss of accuracy, you'd be better served to put the phone in a baggie and put it in your pack if you are not willing to spend for a high quality mount.

#5 ·
yea work phone so 100% free for me, even when I did pay for monthly service, I went no contract, and my customers are cell dealers, so I can usually get a free phone anyways.

I'm only looking for a mount for a basic GPS/music for a bikepacking trip on the GAP trail or something similiar. So not singletrack or anything where it would be subject to massive jarring and bumping that a nicer mount would be made to withstand.

Id prefer to have the screen accessable while riding. The cheapy ones I see for $10 aren't the best, but I only need it to last for a few days of light riding. Unfortunately they all seem to only support up to either 25mm or 30mm tops. I run 122g carbon bars, so I couldnt try to force a 30mm mount onto it without massive issues. I suppose I could get a bar adapter/extender, but thats just more crap I have on the bike, and I'm aiming to have my bike fully loaded weighing in around 30lbs for a 1 nighter. (22lbs w/o gear)

I have a $15 Ibera frame bag that does the same thing as a $150 custom. I know fully well its not as good, but when I can buy 10 of them for the same cost, ill take my chances. Same concept applies here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.