Thread: cateye problem

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

cateye problem

i have a cateye Velo 8 and three different times it has said my max speed was 40-45 mph. everything else is right except for the max speed. i've have the cateye for a little over a year now so it's not that old. is it time to invest in a better computer or is there something i can do to fix this problem.

what is the best bike computer that doesn't cost a whole lot (preferably below $50). i've been throwing around the idea of getting the garmin edge 305 but not sure if i really need it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    where were you when it said that speed? sometimes wireless bike computers can pick up signals from some other source and when that happens the speed goes crazy. one time i parked my bike on the side of our walmart and it went crazy. must've been their wireless network or something.
    and i have a GPS of my own that i take just to keep up with my mileage. and map trails. it's no where near as nice as a 305 but it does the job. got it last week actually. mines a Garmin Etrex Legend. sure it doesn't show roads or anything but it does all that i want it to, and for $100 bucks i couldn't ask it to do more lol
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako
    92' Trek 830 Antelope in restoration being turned into a commuter

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Any Electromagnetic interference(cell phones, MP3s, door openers, etc.) will exaggerate speed readings. Also, some units will get crazy high max speed readings whenever the front wheel is raised(zero rolling resistance).
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    first 2 times it did it i was just riding on the streets where i live and saturday i was riding on some wooded areas

my cateye is wired so would it still pick up signals from other appliances?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Anything with a magnet will affect it.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

"Mr. Britannica"
    could also be a bad sensor... you could buy a new one from cateye or you could contact their service dept and they will prob send you a new one for free... cateye svc is top notch