mtbr member
    Sep 2009

cat eye question

I've recently started biking again and noticed something about my ~6 year old cat eye computer.

I thought it was working fine, but recently i loaned my bike to a friend and then today i noticed that the computer wasn't giving a consistent speed reading. I'd start pedaling and it would lag at 0mph and then jump to 30 and then 60 and back to 12 etc. It wouldn't give a constant reading (even within 5 mph of the previous readings). It looks like the magnet was in the right spot, but i couldn't tell if anything was loose or if the battery was dying or something.

Any ideas of why it would be acting up like that? Again, it's an old model, so the number escapes me, but i can find it if i need to. I haven't tried a hard reset yet and i don't know for sure if the friend messed with the settings at all (changing the wheel size), but i don't think he did.

any insight would be helpful.

mtbr member

Cateye issues....

Quote Originally Posted by dfeitel
    I've recently started biking again and noticed something about my ~6 year old cat eye computer.

I thought it was working fine, but recently i loaned my bike to a friend and then today i noticed that the computer wasn't giving a consistent speed reading. I'd start pedaling and it would lag at 0mph and then jump to 30 and then 60 and back to 12 etc. It wouldn't give a constant reading (even within 5 mph of the previous readings). It looks like the magnet was in the right spot, but i couldn't tell if anything was loose or if the battery was dying or something.

Any ideas of why it would be acting up like that? Again, it's an old model, so the number escapes me, but i can find it if i need to. I haven't tried a hard reset yet and i don't know for sure if the friend messed with the settings at all (changing the wheel size), but i don't think he did.

any insight would be helpful.

Is it a Wireless model? if so, the transmitter is faulty - i had about 6 of those, they usually go bad, sorry to say... they are great WHEN they work... but they are dodgy. Make certain your Receiver is NOT too far from the transmitter too, that Could be an issue, also those do NOT work well in COLD Weather, but likely your transmitter has failed, again, they usually DO on the older ones!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sorry, I should mention it is wired (didn't even know they made wireless,though it makes sense). The wire didn't seem to be pulled out or in anyway damaged.

I've had wired sensors go bad on me, too. It's just an old computer. You can go cheapie and get a new one for $20-$25 if you want. Or you could spend a LOT more for more features.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've had my last wired computer go down with the contacts on the mount. This one had two metal areas that the computer contacts touched. It twisted out of the mount and if I twisted in and out quickly I could get a reading of 74km/h without a sensor!? It was time to bin it.

Sometimes they do die, but my cateyes have always lasted the longest. Got a Cateye Micro wireless now, and it is tops.