Biker Boater Boarder

Which card to use?

My Garmin Edge 800 came with Streets and Maps mini SD card.....so correct me if I'm wrong, but this should mean that if I wanna use the streets and maps for road biking I put that card in, if I want to put my Topo maps and other off road saved rides, tracks etc, I have to put that card in the device. Is it really that interchangeable?

Garmin...YOU HAVE THE WORST INSTRUCTIONS!

Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

trail projectile
    Just buy a bigger card and put everything on it.

I agree that the instructions are terrible.

Biker Boater Boarder
    How would I do that? Will the streets and maps card copy to a new card?
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

trail projectile
    It's a potentially long answer to walk you through it, and I don't actually know whether you can copy the Garmin maps to a new card (but I'm rather confident you can...)... also it's different for Mac/PC, etc.

I didn't buy the Garmin maps and instead installed free ones. In the process of learning how to do that I learned what software I needed to plug maps in, move them, combine them, etc. A bit of trial and error, but not too much!

Here are some links discussing this sort of thing (and the first link may well be all you need...):

Dummies Guide to the Garmin Edge 800 | Frank Kinlan's Blog

Garmin Edge 800 tips and tricks, including free maps

How To Load Maps On My Garmin GPS Unit - GPSFileDepot

Biker Boater Boarder
    Thanks man for all the help! Some good karma coming your way
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

trail projectile
    Happy to help!

One tip: make sure to go on the device and change the setting for where to save your ride data... otherwise you could run out of memory mid ride and it's annoying. Once you do this you have to do manual uploads at garmin connect and strava, but it's so easy it might actually be easier than doing it using the automagic upload...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitSurfer View Post
    How would I do that? Will the streets and maps card copy to a new card?
    You don't think you can copy or move the Garmin supplied maps to another card, at least if they came on a card (at least easily, that map is locked to the card). I have two cards with mine, the maps that came with the unit and a second 4GB card that I use for all my own downloaded maps. Actually, now I rarely use the Garmin maps unless I'll be traveling with the GPS and need it for addresses and location lookups. I use the ~4GB OSM map for the US and it seems to have as much road detail as the Garmin map and includes a lot of my local paved and dirt bike trails. Actually that file takes up about 3GB of storage so I have added a few overlay map files that I have picked up here and there.

Biker Boater Boarder
    Where can i get this OSM map thing?
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitSurfer View Post
    Where can i get this OSM map thing?
    I download it a few times a year from the OSM Wiki page:
    - OSM Map On Garmin/Download - OpenStreetMap Wiki