SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

Hope Which to buy? 60CSx/eTrex Legend HCx or 705?

I'm, obviously, attempting to avoid buying more than one unit to do it all. I want to be able to use it on the bike, snowshoeing, hiking, etc. and for the car. Sitting here looking at the Garmin comparison between the 60CSx & the eTrex Legend HCx I see almost no difference aside from screen size, overall size and a slight difference in battery life. The 705 interests me in large part because of the HR monitor and obvious bike applications.

If you were looking at each of these and discounting cost, which would you buy and why? My wife's pretty much given me the Green Light to buy what I want since we're so often out in the mountains and often driving out of the country (I live in Germany) where it's much more difficult to navigate in an auto if you don't know the roads very well.

Thanks...

"Mr. Britannica"
    Vista HCx

Scott in Tucson
    If I could only own one GPS, I'd go VistaHCx or LegendHCx. I'm an elevation profile nut so I like having the barometer on the Vista, but otherwise the Legend is a good choice.

If you want HR and training stuff, go 305 or 705. Otherwise I much prefer the usability and batteries on the VistaHCx.

60CSx is a great unit if you're going to do a lot of GPS track following / navigating, simply for the larger screen and better button layout. Otherwise it's functionally quite the same as the Vista.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Don't forget to also take a look at DeLormes PN-40. Yes I'm a fanboy, but Garmin is really lacking in the customer support and mapping... DeLorme includes their software with the device, and they now have a $29.95 annual subscription for unlimited downloads of imagery, USGS quads, and NOAA charts... can't be beat.

** EDIT ** oops sorry, missed that you were in Germandy and they dont' have TOPO maps of Germany...

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

Thanks...

Thanks for the info. guys. Looks like I'm probably going to be researching the prices on the Vista's. Next comes the search for good Mac software to go with it.