mtbr member

Bontrager 3 Installation Problems

Usually hang out in the fat bike forum but purchased a Bontrager 3 for indoor training for my cross bike. I didn't realize it was wired until I opened the box today. I'm nearly two hours from the store so taking it back already opened isn't really an option and I figured I'd just put it on and see.

Only thing I want is a cadence/speed sensor for the rear tire but this is a nightmare with two wires and magnets. It keeps telling me I'm going 25 miles an hour and even after attempting to make the wired part look reasonable, it's a disaster even with extra zip ties.

My other option is Bontrager's ANT+ overpriced stuff. The computer is 70 with the sensors around 35 each. I bought the sensors thinking I could download the ANT+ app for my computer as I had one that worked with a previous phone. No go. I'd need a USB ANT+ to use it.

Anything else that works with a trainer to get speed and cadence?

Since I already forked over the money for the ANT+ sensors I should probably just deal with and spend the 70 bucks and get the computer. I just hate to toss a 45 dollar computer.

Thanks for any suggestions/help

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Usually hang out in the fat bike forum but purchased a Bontrager 3 for indoor training for my cross bike. I didn't realize it was wired until I opened the box today. I'm nearly two hours from the store so taking it back already opened isn't really an option and I figured I'd just put it on and see.

Only thing I want is a cadence/speed sensor for the rear tire but this is a nightmare with two wires and magnets. It keeps telling me I'm going 25 miles an hour and even after attempting to make the wired part look reasonable, it's a disaster even with extra zip ties.

My other option is Bontrager's ANT+ overpriced stuff. The computer is 70 with the sensors around 35 each. I bought the sensors thinking I could download the ANT+ app for my computer as I had one that worked with a previous phone. No go. I'd need a USB ANT+ to use it.

Anything else that works with a trainer to get speed and cadence?

Since I already forked over the money for the ANT+ sensors I should probably just deal with and spend the 70 bucks and get the computer. I just hate to toss a 45 dollar computer.

Thanks for any suggestions/help
    Bontrager has an unconditional 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee. If you have your receipt, they will take it back, even used.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    You know, it helps if you have it on miles per hour not kilometers per hour after I started fiddling with it. Duh. Still looks horrendous zip tied up my bike, but it works. Too bad I can't really do 25mph.