mtbr member

Bluetooth HRM Advise Please

I have a Galaxy S 2 phone, what Bluetooth HRM would be best to use? Any opinions on the HxM by Zephyr or the Polar Wearlink? How do these 2 compare? Thanks in advance for any input!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I know that my standard polar HRM with the wearlink strap is very comfortable. I don't know anything about the zephyr, but the polar is comfortable.

The actual strap is the same as the standard polar HRM's, its only the transmitter that's different, so if you already have a polar HRM with the wearlink strap, you can get away with just buying the BT transmitter.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just got the zephyr. It's comfortable for sure and works just fine for me, no complaints, paired it the first time no troubles now I put it on, turn bluetooth on, on the phone, start endomondo and.it connects and starts working.

I looked at both I think the biggest difference was the Zephyr uses a rechargeable battery and the polar is a user replaceable one.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    One of the reviews I read on Amazon pointed out that Bluetooth signals do not transmit well through the human body. So an inherent flaw with BT HRM is that they cannot be kept in a backpack or underseat bag and receive a signal from the chest strap.
    Has this been your experience? Where do you keep your receiver relative to your chest strap? I typically keep my phone in my camelback.

mtbr member
    FYI, bluetooth and wifi both use the open frequency range allowed by the government. The same is used for cordless phones and remote control cars and whatever other civilian wireless radio control device.

With this in mind, any wireless transmitter no matter if its bluetooth or wifi, or ANT+ or whatever, will all be using the same frequencies. They will all suffer the same problems.
    2012 Fianceť
    2011 Spc SJ Cmp Crbn 29
    2010 Fantom Cross Outlaw
    2009 Spc RH Exprt Disc 29
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7
    2007 Spc RH

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    They will all suffer the same problems
    That's the root of my question: the post suggested that the regular HRM monitor was using a frequency NOT as easily blocked as the BT-based ones.

In general I've found BT a pretty flaky protocol.

If you are using a BT-based HRM and it works for you, where do you keep the receiver?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    One of the reviews I read on Amazon pointed out that Bluetooth signals do not transmit well through the human body. So an inherent flaw with BT HRM is that they cannot be kept in a backpack or underseat bag and receive a signal from the chest strap.
    Has this been your experience? Where do you keep your receiver relative to your chest strap? I typically keep my phone in my camelback.
    I keep my phone in a pouch that's on the waist strap of my camelbak, along with keys and wallet.

mtbr member
    I think BT is good for close quarters. Its generally lower power that Wifi since it does not have far to go at all. I don't buy the idea that BT does not go well through the human body because it can just go around. On the other hand, there are lots of companies that won't pay for quality software engineers and as a result release inferior products that do not behave well.

A regular HRM may work better because the protocol is easier to implement. Just depends on how much that particular company invests in quality.
    2012 Fianceť
    2011 Spc SJ Cmp Crbn 29
    2010 Fantom Cross Outlaw
    2009 Spc RH Exprt Disc 29
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7
    2007 Spc RH

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    I use my android phone all the time with my Zephyr HRM and keep it in the back pocket of my road jersey and saddle bag. No troubles with losing signal ect.