Grip it and rip it.

Bizarre HR readings from garmin edge.

Hi, the heart rate function on my edge 705 yesterday was acting really crazy and off the wall. I was just trying to stay in my heart rate zone 139-151, so i was'nt putting any stress on it. The read out i was given was always about 10 - 15 beats lower than i knew it was, once it jumped from 120 - 105 and kept on dropping, on a climb... which is bizarre.

In the end i ended up with slight cramp after four hours from probably being in too high a hr zone, from it not working

Anyone else have this problem?? I know it can sometimes happen with sweat build up, but on that ride i stopped to wipe the chest band on the wet morning grass to see if it would make a difference, and nothing.

It's only a month old.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

Sweat helps with signal on my HRM, actually. If the band is dry or not positioned right, it acts up. You might try a HRM contact gel, which is supposed to help the sensor pick up the HR signal.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Could it be that the battery is run down and needs to be replaced?

Grip it and rip it.
    It's only a month old and was brand new when i bought it, at least it was all packed like it was brand new... it was fine the ride before this one which i found quite strange aswell.

I'm leaning towards the band not being positioned right. If you get funny HRM readings, make sure your HRM band is on right.

It could be a battery issue, but I bought my HRM at a REI garage sale, and while the battery in the watch was dead, the band was fine, so I doubt that.

Grip it and rip it.
    I'm pretty clued in about correct HRM band position, i used heart rate monitors for a few years before the garmin.

trail rat
    Contact gel is very important, my cardiologist says so.

Do you wear a dog tag or chain? Mine caused interference.

It has been reported that a loose jersey flapping can cause interference. I do not see how it could, but the person who had the issues on fast downhills with a loose jersey flapping changed to a tight jersey and the interference went away.

Lights and overhead wires used to mess with my old Sigma and Polar years back, but I have never had any issues with my Garmin. (Except for my cardiologist pissed at me for giving him HRM printouts with anomalies caused by not using contact gel. )
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Do you have another wireless device on your bike or person when this happens?

I used to have a Timex Ironman HRM, and found it "cross-talked" sporadically with the wireless computer on my bike. Both would work normally, then suddenly one or the other would give strange read-outs. The HRM would suddenly peg at 220 bpm, or the spedometer function would indicate 5 mph forward speed while I was stopped.

Grip it and rip it.
    No, i dont have any other wireless components on my bike. I carry a mobile phone and always have, thats it.. and i use an ipod. These hav'nt been a problem in the first month of having it. I live outside a city so i'm often riding under over head wires, don't see how that is much of a problem.
    Well anyway, today i went out and had the same problems.. lots of bizarre readings and at one stage it thought my HR was in the 80's, i knew it was in the high 120's at least. I think the next step is to send it back to Garmin, or whoever cares, and try to get it fixed .

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Okay, you've only had it for a month. I'd still try replacing the battery and giving a try before sending it to Garmin only to have them charge you for the cost of a battery. In the instructions for the HR strap they state that you need to wipe down the HR strap or else the sweat remaining on it will keep the unit running until it evaporates and this can cause the battery to drain down faster than you think it should. It certainly couldn't hurt to give it a try.