Thread: Bike/Car GPS

mtbr member

Bike/Car GPS

Is there a good GPS unit that would work for both Car and Bike? I know I will have to make sacrifices in funcationality and stuff, but any suggestions?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jared5755; 04-26-2008 at 01:48 PM.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

You're better off with an outdoor handheld with autorouting functions than you are with an auto gps with outdoor functions. The Garmin 60/76 series are good. I know the Delorme PN-20 autoroutes, but I don't know how good it is at that since I don't own one.

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    +1 for the 60CSx
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” - H.G. Wells

trail rat
    Another vote here for the 60CSx, I have one and like it. I have seen the 76 series and it is essentially the same in a different case. If I was to buy a dual use GPS now, I would probably go for the eTrex Vista HCx. It is a little smaller for the bike, and I think, ok in the truck, although I have not used one.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot. To 60CSx sure looks cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    You're better off with an outdoor handheld with autorouting functions than you are with an auto gps with outdoor functions. The Garmin 60/76 series are good. I know the Delorme PN-20 autoroutes, but I don't know how good it is at that since I don't own one.
    The PN-20 is great for outdoor use and does OK for auto routing (not as quick as the 60 series). If you are going to use it more for mountain biking, then the PN-20 is a great choice but if you are going to use it more for the road then try the Garmin.

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    GeoMan's got the 60CSx for a song here.

Great guy, great product, great price.
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” - H.G. Wells

mtbr member

CityNavigator?

I really like the aerial views available with the PN-20, but the reviews I've read on the city navigation are horrible.

Has anyone used CityNavigator with the 60CSx? http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-MapSour...9318869&sr=1-1

Apparently it's the same software used in the car versions. But I want to make sure it works before I spend all that money. If it does, I think this would make the 60CSx a clear winner over the PN-20.

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    I have been using an older version, City Select v7, on my 60CSx for a few years and it's excellent. I never travel anymore without loading up the local maps for where I'm going and taking the unit with me.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared5755
    I really like the aerial views available with the PN-20, but the reviews I've read on the city navigation are horrible.

Has anyone used CityNavigator with the 60CSx? http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-MapSour...9318869&sr=1-1

Apparently it's the same software used in the car versions. But I want to make sure it works before I spend all that money. If it does, I think this would make the 60CSx a clear winner over the PN-20.
    Yes, I have both City Navigator and Topo in mine. The most detailed map over rides the other, so you have to enable and disable in the map screen. Simple, it takes three key presses to change from Nav to Topo.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyperkins
    GeoMan's got the 60CSx for a song here.

Great guy, great product, great price.
    Wow!

Thanks!

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ditto on the 60CSx... just got mine a couple weeks ago. I went all out with City Navagator and Topo. I haven't had any problems that reading the manual didn't resolve. I've used it on the road and out on the trail, and absolutely love it. Knowing what I know now, I would probably pass on the Topo.

If you're looking for a dual purpose (trail/vehicle) GPS, I give this one two thumbs up...
    Greg
    I may be late to the game and won't finish first, but I'll still be smilin'

GeoMan
    The 60CSx is my favorite Garmin handheld GPS. It is a great unit that performs exceedingly well.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com