mtbr member

Best mapping apps

Sorry if there is another thread about this, but I couldn't find it. So, what do you guys use to map your bike rides? I've used iMapMyRide a few times but did not like it (too many errors and it takes forever to save maps, not to mention it cannot save the map if you don't have internet access, which happens often in the trails) and was looking for alternatives. What I want to do is just log and save my rides with maps.

Thanks!

there is a whole forum for maps and computers. that's why you didn't find it. already many discussions there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Endomondo works great. Used it with my BB and now with my WP8 phone.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    They are all error prone. I use RideWithGps and occasionally google earth. Using an Edge 800.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Very few errors on my windows phone(Lumia 822). That thing has amazing GPS. I think it even has glonass support.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been using "GPS kit". For 3-4 months on my iPhone. It works great and hasn't jumped around yet. It costs about 10 bucks , but if your going to do any rides where you don't have a data signal it is by far the best I have tried.

mtbr member
    I've been using MotionX for more than a year and am completely happy with it. Very accurate GPS data and only once failed at recording a track in the last 4000 miles of riding. You do have to pay 99c for it, but it's worth it.
    You can choose to use terrain maps which defaults to open cycle maps which shows many hiking and biking trails. If you like to explore, these maps are great.
    I have a blog post about this program, and some others (everytrail, strava, endomondo) that lists some different features of them if you're considering any of those.
    GPS App Review

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinRR View Post
    Sorry if there is another thread about this, but I couldn't find it. So, what do you guys use to map your bike rides? I've used iMapMyRide a few times but did not like it (too many errors and it takes forever to save maps, not to mention it cannot save the map if you don't have internet access, which happens often in the trails) and was looking for alternatives. What I want to do is just log and save my rides with maps.

Thanks!
    I am using smartPulse (free on app store) I use it with a bike computer when I ride, but its also great for hiking and running. easy to send the completed routes to your computer too.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smar...545663890?mt=8

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Please let me know if I need to make a new topic for this. I am also looking for a good mapping app for Android to be specific. The main thing I want it to have is the ability to post an actual image of the route to Facebook. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Try RMaps for Android & Iphone. offline capability and track recording

Indonesian mtbr
    i vote for endomondo

Here are my endomondo record:
    Track Offroad MTB di Kalsel | Kaskus - The Largest Indonesian Community
    Last edited by fadill; 03-03-2013 at 03:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyham89 View Post
    Please let me know if I need to make a new topic for this. I am also looking for a good mapping app for Android to be specific. The main thing I want it to have is the ability to post an actual image of the route to Facebook. Any recommendations?
    I may be a little late to pitch in on this topic, but I've been using an app called "My Tracks" for Android. Specifically on a Galaxy S3. I usually set it to record and stuff it in my camelback. I explore and ride and it records the track using my GPS signal through my phone. It gives you your general information like average speed, terrain, max speed, etc. Also, you can post the route on Facebook. It's a beauty for a free app.

My only quirk with it, is that I'm suspicious of it cutting corners... The map is not as smooth as you would expect it to be, but it's by no means way off.

Either way, check it out and see for yourself.

Goran

mtbr member
    Is it standard operating procedure to neg rep posters who post a question and then never post again in that thread?

mtbr member
    I use Strava on My Iphone 4S and am happy with how it tracks my rides.

Question though. I will be riding a new area that will not have data coverage and want to follow a GPX file. I will need an Offline mapping App. I am looking at Gaia ($19.99), Offline Topo Maps ($9.99), and ITopoMaps ($7.99). Does any one have any experience with any of these Apps? I would like to be able to upload a GPX file and then follow the track on the my phone. Is there a better App to accomplish this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Best mapping apps

I recommend getting the amazon app store for its free apps.
    I have gotten Gaia GPS and a couple workout tracking apps for free. Most of the apps that are free for the day are not very good but every once in awhile a good one pops up.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Best mapping apps

Try Runtastic MTB app it has offline map feature, it's great.