Grip it and rip it.

New question here. Best gps + hr unit for mtb AND road use???

Hi, i'm looking at getting a garmin edge 305 or 705 with the hr and cadence, i've read that the 305 is'nt very user friendly on the mtb in muddy conditions, this put's me off slightly as it is nearly always muddy when i race. Any comments on this, or suggestions of other units? I will be using it mostly on the road, just on the mtb for races.
    Thanks, Mike.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

Two Tired
    I have a 305 and ride year round. I have not had any problems with rain or mud (or heat or dust). I have been very happy with it. I have the HR strap, but I find I never use it. I don't race, but I don't see how that would be too different.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a 305 and I no longer use the cadence sensor. Somehow my batteries in my cadence sensors die really fast so I gave up on them. I really need to dig out my HR strap, though. I don't know what my wife did with it. I really like this computer for my collection of bikes as I just need a stem mount for each bike and I'm good to go. No need to run wires or try to figure out where to put a speed/cadence sensor. This is especially true for my mountain bike since it's very difficult to mount a cadence sensor on my Prophet or a speed sensor on the Lefty.

With regards to getting it wet or muddy, you can always put it into a ziplock sandwich bag, start the GPS tracking, then put it into a jersey pocket. I've found that the GPS tracking still works while locked inside a car trunk so tracking your movements while it is in your jersey pocket should not be an issue. If you actually want to see the display while riding it offroad that's a different story altogether but most computers would be a challenge seeing while bouncing down a trail.

Grip it and rip it.

Here is what i want

[SIZE="4"] The main things in want in a unit, for mtb use.[/SIZE]

1)HRM and time
    2)Total meters of climbing on a race or ride
    3)route profile
    4)There is a point to point race every year i do at night and i have got lost a few times, i thought if i rode it at daytime with a gps, it would prevent me to get lost at night. Am i correct?

[SIZE="4"]Road use[/SIZE]

1) HRM is very important to me
    2) Route profile and total meters of climbing, save routes to the unit for future rides.

Thanks
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I believe that the 305 will do what you want it to do. The only issue that you may run into would be battery life on your point-to-point race. Without using the built-in illuminator you would get about 8 hours from the battery. I don't know how much that would be reduced by turning on the light. You can always try to find a way to mount a smaller light with its own power source to shine onto the Garmin to light it up. I don't know how they illuminate the 705 screen so that may be a moot point with that unit.