Religion = Non-thinking

best <$25 computer?

i'm looking to get a basic computer for my bike, i do a lot of NYC metro riding...

-do the wireless cateyes really work well? are they as accurate as the wired one?
    -the more features the better but what i really need is total distance (since the day i start using the computer, it has a memory feature right?) avg speed, current speed, max speed, etc
    -how much should my lbs be charging me to install this; or is it newb friendly and i can do it myself?
    RH SL Pro

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    id just get the bell 8 or 10 function at target for $10.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    IF you could strech the amount by $5.00, I have been REAL happy with the Specialized Speedzone models, big display, stem cap mount for for bar room for lights and other stuff if needed. The basic model, does everything you are asking for, is $30.00. Not hard to install at all either. And you can also reprogram total mileage when you replace the battery if you so choose.

Chris

Religion = Non-thinking
    can't find that for sale anywhere ^^ got a link?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    With this one, you're wireless:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400007_400127

I have it on my road bike, and it has performed flawlessly for somewhere around 10,000 miles.

Aug 2009
    Target has the 20 function bells on sale for $7.54 now. Id go for that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    can't find that for sale anywhere ^^ got a link?
    It appears that Specialized does not permit Internet sales of the computer. Check your LBS.

Religion = Non-thinking
    what are the benefits of a wireless computer? i'm worried about hassles and inaccuracy with them, should i not be?

are the speed readings of the cheapo ones such as the Bell just as accurate as any other?
    RH SL Pro

Aug 2009
    while I cant say the speed on my Bell is accurate, the distance portion is pretty good. did a 8.5 mile according to google maps a few days ago and it came out at 8.3 on the Bell.

Religion = Non-thinking
    can someone link to the cheapo Bell thats cheap @ target? is that one accurate and reliable? hows installation; newb friendly?
    RH SL Pro

Religion = Non-thinking
    okay guys i ended up getting the Bell F-12 Basic computer from Target for $9.99 (couldn't find anything more basic for $7.50ish.)

i'm very worried that the small flimsy little magnet piece that screws into the tire will come off, u guys have any ideas on how to secure this better?

i did not take it for a test spin yet, but i spun the wheels and i saw the Current Speed go to around 3-5mph. i hope these things are accurate...
    RH SL Pro

Aug 2009
    you could try some blue loctite in the screws thread. Though I really dont think you need it, I have a friend who has been using one for a while and it has not come loose. I actually just installed one today, it didn't take to long, I just suggest some planning of wire management before you start.

I really don't have a way for you to test the accuracy, though you could have a friend or family member drive a car at a set speed and you try and catch it.

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    you could try some blue loctite in the screws thread. Though I really dont think you need it, I have a friend who has been using one for a while and it has not come loose. I actually just installed one today, it didn't take to long, I just suggest some planning of wire management before you start.

I really don't have a way for you to test the accuracy, though you could have a friend or family member drive a car at a set speed and you try and catch it.
    thats a good idea, i'm going to get some of that blue loctite u mentioned, where can i find that cheap? walmart? target? homedepot? i do a lot of jumps and hit a lot of bumps/curbs in NYC so i dont want to lose it. yea i did (attempt) to plan out the wiring but still F'd up once where i didn't loop the sensor behind my fork and instead, in front of it. (in front/behind that upside down U bridge thats between the stancions
    RH SL Pro

Aug 2009
    you can find loctite pretty much at any place that sells tools, so any that you mentioned should have it. Just stick with the loctite brand and only use blue. Red is permanent and will not come off or will be incredibly hard to come off. You will really only need a incredibly small drip of it.

Religion = Non-thinking
    great, i'll just follow the instructions thanks
    RH SL Pro