mtbr member

battery life on Garmin 305/705???

I am racing teh leadville traill 100 this August and was am deciding on either a Garmin 305 or 705, But I was wondering what run times you guys have been getting? I plan on a 10-11 hour pace and want the GPS to record the whole race. Is there a charging system I could use to regcharge at an aid station in few minutes? I know there are cell phone chargers that use a AA battery to charge a cell phone when there is no outlet around. And from what I understand teh Garmin uses a mini USB port to chage just like my Motarola Razr

any feedback is greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    From my understanding the 305 won't run that long. The 705 is rated at 15 hours, but in real world practice I think 10-11 would be pushing the units runtime and that's without the backlight. I have a 705 and did a couple runtime tests with it and it was in the 11-12 hour range but that was not while recording data, I would guess use on the bike would take a bit more power.

You should be able to find some type of add on battery pack that would attach to the mini-usb port and power the unit. I've seen 4AA packs with a usb port to use with various devices and as you mentioned there are other cell phone type options

Two Tired
    I ran my 305 for over 11 hours (8 hours moving time) and recorded everything and still had some left in the battery at the end. This was on the trail, so no re-charging involved.

I have seen battery add-ons, but it seems like they used larger batteries with the associated weight penalty. I don't know why you would need that much energy storage unless it were for a multi-day expedition.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

Double-metric mtb man
    I did a century on my mtb and was at least 8.5 hrs continuous on with my 305 (6.5 hrs pedalling and 2 hrs of breaks and chatting). It was getting near the bottom of the batt gauge, but still going strong.

I've picked up a 4xAAA battery pack that runs power through a mini USB plug. As my MP3 uses the same batteries and I carry spares, I don't lose anything to a weight penalty on long rides and I can charge as I go...I figure I should have at least 12-15 hrs with a fully charged Edge and one set of AAA's.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    thanks for the feedback, I am not worried about carrying the weight, there are aid stations through out the course, 26, 40, 60, 74miles that my girlfreind will be at with food and anything else I need so I can always take a few min break to charge before continuing. I will look into the chargers, anybody have a website?

Roger that
    Apr 2008
    I have been in the saddle several times for 10-12 hours and my 305 worked fine. Just make sure you have it set for "Smart Recording".

Double-metric mtb man
    I went out for a ride yesterday and then left the unit running until I was done with another ride with the Mrs. later on in the day. My Edge was still showing 1 bar on the battery gauge and had been on for 11+ hrs.

There are numerous folks who make battery packs/extenders for USB devices...in essence, that's all you're after for the Edge. I grabbed one off e-Bay for less than $5 with shipping and it works just fine (4xAAA bats with a limiter to keep it from throwing 6V down the 5V USB line). If you do a search, there are links on how to build your own on the forum here.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me