mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Basic, inexpensive, handlebar mount MTB computer??

I know I can easily look this up online and read those reviews; however, I wanted some opinions from the forum members rather than just what reviews are on a website.

I am looking for a standard MTB computer that mounts to the handlebars. Just a good, simple, inexpensive one that works. Just want the usual..clock, speed, average speed, mileage, total mileage... Would love one that has temperature as well but not a necessity.

I mean this one at Jenson USA has good reviews but it's $10 bucks!! Can it actually be anything more than a paperweight?
    Sigma BC509 Cycling Computer > Accessories > Electronics > Cyclecomputers | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

What do you all use or have used in the past before upgrading to a nicer unit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I use a schwinn I found at Wally world. The first one was wireless and had all that you asked for including the temp but was wireless and I could never get that bugger to stay connected. Replaced it with the cheaper wired unit with no temp and it works great.

I also track my ride and HR with my phone gps using Map My Ride.
    I brew the best beer around, don't believe me? Ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me drinking it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The sigma isn't bad. I used a cateye Enduro for a decade. Extra strong cable for trail use.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk and CM 10.2

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I went with the Nashbar Tempo wireless. They were running free shipping when I ran across it and reviews were pretty good. Just installed it last night so we will see how accurate it is.

Nashbar Tempo Wireless Bike Computer - Normal Shipping Ground

EMBA Member
    I run the Sigma Rox 5.0. As I recall, because I got it as a present, it ran about $110 I think. It comes with the HRM transmitter too so I thought it was worth it. Plus they give you a half price coupon for their DataCenter software making it about $5. The transmitters for a second bike run about $50. It does all that stuff plus temp, clock, stopwatch, and a few other things. They have other models running all the way up to the Rox 10.0 which has GPS on it and runs about $250. The only down side is they are a little hard to find. I got the second set up from WallyWorld online. They have their own YouTube channel so you can check them out. I thought they were a great deal. Another cool thing was the auto shutdown. What I mean is that I couldn't set up the cadence transmitter on my mountain bike; no room on the crank. After a while because it didn't get any signal it just shuts that function off. No having the numbers flash on the computer to distract my attention. Check them out, I don't think you would be sorry. Slim

mtbr member

Basic, inexpensive, handlebar mount MTB computer??

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    I know I can easily look this up online and read those reviews; however, I wanted some opinions from the forum members rather than just what reviews are on a website.

I am looking for a standard MTB computer that mounts to the handlebars. Just a good, simple, inexpensive one that works. Just want the usual..clock, speed, average speed, mileage, total mileage... Would love one that has temperature as well but not a necessity.

I mean this one at Jenson USA has good reviews but it's $10 bucks!! Can it actually be anything more than a paperweight?
    Sigma BC509 Cycling Computer > Accessories > Electronics > Cyclecomputers | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

What do you all use or have used in the past before upgrading to a nicer unit?
    I have this one, it replaced a broken cat eye. Does everything you want, worked flawlessly 1200 km last year. If your in canada you can get it at canadian tire.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000DZ...&robot_redir=1

mtbr member
    I have an older version of that Sigma...great deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    After chucking a few cheap wireless models that each developed problems I bought the Sigma BC 1009 wired. Perfect basic reliable computer, comes with several mounting options, including stem. It sometimes goes as low as $17 on amazon.