since 4/10/2009

ArcGIS Online for data viewing

<iframe width="500" height="400" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/templates/OnePane/basicviewer/embed.html?webmap=d612fd2120154531a531b52a3bf7f4a8 &amp;gcsextent=-162.15,9.0935,-59.0543,53.3257&amp;displayslider=true&amp;display scalebar=true&amp;displaybasemaps=true"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=d612fd2120154531a531b52a3bf7f4a 8&amp;extent=-162.15,9.0935,-59.0543,53.3257" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left" target="_blank">View Larger Map</a></small>

I encountered this service recently and decided to give it a shot. www.arcgis.com is the address. This map consists of 3 different .kml files layered together. The service supports shapefiles, .gpx, .csv, and online data services.

Edit: well, I thought with iframe code, it'd work, but I guess not entirely. Too bad. I thought the prospects of displaying multiple .gpx files layered at once onto a map were very good. At any rate, the embed code works well on my website, and you can click the link to view the full map.

Talentless Hack
    Those background topo maps are insanely good. Thanks for the link.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

since 4/10/2009
    ahah! it actually worked! it wasn't displaying correctly for me last night.

I've been a longtime ArcGIS desktop user but had no idea about their web mapping service. I am working on setting up a non-biking related group and a guy in the organization already sent me a link to one of these maps he was working on to put on the org's main website. I already had an account with ESRI through school (to take some of the online training stuff a few years ago), so I just linked it to this service and got to making the map.

Interestingly enough, ESRI also has a free iOS app that ties in with the ArcGIS Online service. So I can load this exact map on my ipod and edit it there. I may have found a reason to actually get a Magellan Toughcase to give that little gadget GPS functionality.

This would be a nifty little tool for trailwork, as you could make edits in the field that could more or less instantly show up online.