Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

anyone using this? --> Runtastic's Mountain Bike App

Just came across this today - looks like it was released in early Jan. I downloaded the lite version - Looks pretty good...not sure if I'll use this or cyclemeter going forward.

iTunes - Mountain Bike Pro

Mountain Bike on runtastic's site

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I've used many Iphone GPS programs, Wont get another without a "lite" version that I can try. they say they have a lite but it doesn't shoe in Itunes.

I use Everytrail.com as it has the best online support without HAVING to deal with facebook or Twitter. also Exports very easy to gpx and other formats. Motion X and GPS kit are good too but have weird options that don't really work well and constantly annoy me. If you want the "best" fitness system MotionX is about the best I can find. Personally I don't care much for the fitness info as much as just a quick mapping to see were I am and later to see/map were I was.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They do have a free lite version.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    They do have a free lite version.
    doesn't show up in Itunes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Search "mountain bike runtastic" in the app store.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use runtastic, been using it for a few months. I do get some distance discrepancies and elevation, but it is a smart phone so that explains it. No exporting to gpx that i know of.

It will keep me satisfied until i get some sort of garmin style gps

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Endomondo is a good balance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    Just came across this today - looks like it was released in early Jan. I downloaded the lite version - Looks pretty good...not sure if I'll use this or cyclemeter going forward.

iTunes - Mountain Bike Pro

Mountain Bike on runtastic's site
    Does look pretty good. May give it a try. I use IMapMyRide and find it very useful.
    Last edited by slumpey; 02-09-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by slumpey View Post
    Does look pretty good. May give it a try. I use IMapMyRide and find it very useful.
    tried Imapmyride, didn't like their web support much and the constant $$$ harassment to upgrade.

used Endo too... just didn't do it for me. no web support/map site.

This does look nice but has issues (has crashed 3 times on me now) as well as no import-export of GPX files and such that I can find. couple more upgrades and this could be a class act App. just not yet.
    Last edited by thomllama; 02-09-2012 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Has any of you all used this and compared it to My Tracks? Not sure if each is available on IPhone/android markets.

-Brett

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    Has any of you all used this and compared it to My Tracks? Not sure if each is available on IPhone/android markets.

-Brett
    nope, no MyTracks for Iphone. I hear it's pretty good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    tried Imapmyride, didn't like their web support much and the constant $$$ harassment to upgrade.

used Endo too... just didn't do it for me. no web support/map site.
    What do you mean? Endomondo has a web site with mapping etc.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    What do you mean? Endomondo has a web site with mapping etc.
    ya, It does, but it's more about the "social" thing instead of mapping. the little I used the mapping it was VERY inaccurate, probably has an adjustment but it just looked off to me..
    Last edited by thomllama; 02-09-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    that sounds negative, let me correct that... I can easily see why people like Endo, it's a super clean interface, works well, I didn't find it the most accurate but it's not terrible and if your more looking for a "work out" GPS program it's decent, will use a Heart beat monitor, count calories and such. Just didn't float my boat... there wasn't anything "special" about it making it better than any of the others.

few things I DIDn't like about Endo..
    No preload maps for battery savings and out of Cell range rides. as a matter of fact it just quit a few times on me when i was in a no cell reception area.. a few other GPS programs have done that to me,.. (Sport tracker, MapMyRide, and another I can't remember the name of)

here are some reasons I like the 3 I've been bouncing round with...
    Everytrail,..
    1. about the best Web site, Not facebook or other media reliant (and partially I'm just used to it i think now too. )
    2. has really fine Adjustments to the tracking and marking of the GPS
    3. really good off line/pre downloading of maps, saves battery and time when out on the trail
    4. has all the social features if you want the whole twitter/facebook stuff.
    5. multiple map types (OpencycleMap being my person fav though they need to update the server info)
    6. Imports-export from the web site in multiple formats. (but yes, you do have to upload to web site to export file, but will do it by cell, no computer needed)
    7. Picture taking with GPS location as Way point

GPS KIT
    1. About the best tracking I've found so far (well tied with Motion X)
    2. Exports to Itunes in major formats(but their only Web stuff is Facebook reliant.. sucks)
    3. Offline (preloaded) maps saves battery and still works when no Cell signal
    4. Squack can be cool if you go aout and want your family to know where you are,.. can be a help if something happens and they notice you haven't moved in a hour ( I don't use it normally, but I call my Brother if I'm going somewhere new or rough where he can check every now and then)
    5. Lots of Waypoint options with pictures and even the weather station thing (kinda stupid but cool)

it does have a mess of annoying things that I had to turn off... the compass which was always coming up with errors and driving me nuts.. just have to turn off. any voice crap,.. don't need my phone talking to me during a ride (though I can see some people may want to motivation)

Motion X

1. tied with GPS kit for accuracy (ok it's still a phone so don't expect too much)
    2. Has a bunch of settings that can help make it better-more fun (if you figure them all out)
    3. Will export file (email, facebook.. bla bla bla)
    4. Has the most map selections
    5. Pre-download maps to save battery and work out of cell range
    6. cool interface (though a bit over whelming at first)

there is more for all of them.. but I just seem to go back to Everytrail if I'm just going out to ride, and GPSKIT if I want accuracy and am mapping type stuff. No matter what program I use, I always end up uploading to Everytrail.com .. just a great storage and retrieval site. like the stupid animation of the trip too
    Last edited by thomllama; 02-09-2012 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post

-Brett
    Are you referring to the google map my tracks app? Personally I think that is the best but of course you have to be on android. If there is an iPhone my tracks app...then nope I haven't used it.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Endomondo is a good balance.
    I agree!

mtbr member
    I have the Runtastic Pro app on my Android phone, that way I can share with my kids who have a BBerry and iPhone with their app. It tracks pretty well, but in the woods the GPS gets confused by the trees (as do all GPS). It gives me calories, distance, and elevation, just ordered a bluetooth chest strap to try.
    It allows me to export files to .gpx, .tcx and .kml, so I can take a look at map elevations. It also allows me to edit my outings for distance, time and elevation.
    I expect the leaves coming out on the trees to really confuse it, but since I can edit, it doesn't matter. So far, I'm pretty satisfied with Runtastic.
    p.s. I used to do GPS surveying, and even the big rigs lose lock in the trees and valleys.
    Cephas486

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas486 View Post
    It tracks pretty well, but in the woods the GPS gets confused by the trees (as do all GPS)....
    p.s. I used to do GPS surveying, and even the big rigs lose lock in the trees and valleys.
    Cephas486
    I think you've been out of the industry too long. It's very difficult to make modern high sensitivity equipment lose a lock.

Back in the day, I had to climb trees to get a lock on my Trimble GeoExplorer 2 in a fairly flat, forested area.

I haven't lost a lock with my Oregon 450 in the 2 years I've owned it. Accuracy does drop some in dense forest (giant sequoias on CA coast, Costa Rican jungle), but it maintains a lock on plenty of satellites.

Just make sure it has a chance to update the almanac before needing it if you travel. That process can take awhile.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I haven't really ever used GPS, so forgive me if I'm asking some stupid questions here.

I'm wanting to map some trails around here. So I'm not looking to follow a map, but rather have the map follow me. I'm getting an iphone soon and I was planning on using that, but just how inaccurate is it going to be? I'd like to get a really good GPS, but I just can't swing buying both right now. I live in North Vancouver, so the trees are pretty thick. Is this going to be a major problem?

I'm wanting to track my routes each ride and the combine all of them onto one map as well. Is this possible? So that I have my own personal map that includes all the trails I've been on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    MotionX-GPS is probably the best GPS app for iPhone. You can get it to record a track.

Accuracy can be affected by many things but in general try and keep the phone as high on your body as possible and not under too many layers. It won't be as accurate as a dedicated GPS, but it will do the job.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have been using Runtastic Mountainbike Pro for about a month now, and I really like it. It seems pretty accurate and gives tons of feedback. I don't have any of the advanced readouts like heart rate etc ... just using it for distance/time.

I like that you can look back at the route taken, and that it also pulls weather data. You can also log how you feel after the ride. Good info for a beginner!

The app will talk to you as you ride, so don't get spooked at the british lady suddenly speaking in the middle of the trail!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've used the lite version on my last few rides. I kept forgetting that I had it when I first got it. I didn't get it for any super detailed info, just general time and distance and so far it's great for that. The British lady did freak me out the first time I heard it. I think the voice feature worked for the first mile or two on the free version and then it prompts you to pay up if you want her to keep chatting, I don't miss her...

NMBP
    I've also been using Runtastic Mountainbike Pro for a month or 2 now on my iPhone 4. I haven't compared accuracy to tracks from other programs, but it's been very close on distance. For me, I find that it uses less battery than Motion X does.

mtbr member
    MotionX-GPS is probably the best GPS app for iPhone. You can get it to record a track.

Accuracy can be affected by many things but in general try and keep the phone as high on your body as possible and not under too many layers. It won't be as accurate as a dedicated GPS, but it will do the job.

I switched from MapMyRide to MotionX-GPS and it's by far the best app I found. I tried pretty much every bike app out there and MotionX-GPS has every bell and whistle I was looking for in one app.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    I've been using Mountainbike Pro for a few weeks. It is easy to use, stable, and seems accurate. YMMV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast