mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Anyone use ONLY their GPS as their computer??

Does anyone use ONLY their GPS as their bike computer. NOT COUNTING THOSE WITH THE EDGE UNITS. I have a cateye micro wireless, and just picked up a Legend HCx. I can have the Legend record my track while displaying speed, odo, and other things that my cateye will also display. Would it be a bad move if I only use the GPS?? Or should I use the GPS AND the cateye??

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I use both now but until I got the computer so I could see cadence it was only my GPS. Worked fine. If you don't need/want cadence GPS can give you what you need. I do consistently use both now that I have both however. Got to have something to watch besides the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yup, just my DeLorme PN-20. Works great.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    i've ridden a lot with both a cateye enduro and compared it to what my garmin 60csx records for distance. assuming the wheel calibration is good they're usually very close.

note that for me either riding some particularly close n windy trails, or having "stay on road" turned on, can cause some signicicant variance.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I use just a 60csx

Scott in Tucson
    Haven't used a cyclo-computer for years. GPS gives you so much more.

I live in AZ, though, and losing signal is extremely rare. I used a cyclo-computer when I toured the divide in '04 because I was afraid of losing signal and you need mileage to follow the cue sheets. But even on the divide my 60CS very rarely lost signal and we used it almost exclusively to navigate and get mileage.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've used an older garmin etrex off and on for the last couple of years. In more open trails, it worked great, but when the trees got really dense or the trails had a lot of tight turns, I wished I had the computer. The GPS was off by almost two miles on a really twisty ten mile trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Was the error in the trip computer or track log? 20% shorter or longer?

I'd be curious to see if a faster logging rate in the track log fixes the 20% error (2mi in 10).
    I don't think it would as the trip computer & track should be seperate.

Or was the problem just losing lock?
    Come to think of it, a jumpy lock can add mileage if you get some multi-path.

Quote Originally Posted by Park2

I'd be curious to see if a faster logging rate in the track log fixes the 20% error (2mi in 10).

I use both occasionally. On my 76CSx, the difference between the two was about 0.2 mi on a 5mi ride. At times, it was less than that, and at times it was more than that. It wasn't terribly significant at that point. On older GPS receivers, that difference was a fair bit larger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Park2

It was two miles shorter. I'm pretty sure it was because of the slow logging rate. I've messed around with that since then, and the results have been better, but I lose accuracy when I set the logging rate too fast (around 1 sec intervals). I'm guessing it just can't process that much info, but I really don't know what happens. For the case I was talking about, the trail had tons of tight hairpin turns in thick forest. The signal wasn't great anyway, and the slow log rates cut the hairpins real bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin921
    Yup, just my DeLorme PN-20. Works great.
    x2, at least my own

mtbr member
    Yep, a vista hcx and/or a foretrex 101, depending on the type of ride and the opportunity to make a wrong turn.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    i always have my 60csx set for mostest-bestest track recording, hasn't failed me yet (although there have been canyon anomolies as expected). it has the newer more sensitive receiver chip in it, and the larger antenna, which I'm sure helps.

mtbr member
    I only use a Garmin eTrex. When I first got it, I used to look at it more while riding, but now most of the time I forget it is there. It is nice to upload the trips to the computer afterwards and see where I actually went (on Google Earth).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear
    I only use a Garmin eTrex. When I first got it, I used to look at it more while riding, but now most of the time I forget it is there. It is nice to upload the trips to the computer afterwards and see where I actually went (on Google Earth).
    Thats my main reason for getting the GPS, to see where I actually went. I like to log total miles and moving time for the ride also. This should make it quite a bit easier.

Silence! I kill you!
    I have the Ciclosport 434M (I think thats the model) that I used to use which had altitude, cadence, downloadable to the computer, and a bunch of other stuff. I wanted to get a HRM, but I didn't want to have 2 computers & 2 different software. So I instead got a Garmin 305HR w/cadence, and I just took my Ciclosport computer off the bike. I like it waay better than the ciclosport, and its nice not having a bunch of wires all over my bike.
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930
    Does anyone use ONLY their GPS as their bike computer. NOT COUNTING THOSE WITH THE EDGE UNITS.
    I'd reply, but you disqualified me before we got started. All I will say is that my cardiologist loves my Edge 305 for the data it gives him, and I do as well, since I get to keep riding my mountain bike because of it.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie