Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ~Reformed Mechanic~

Anyone use MapMyRide?

Got this Iphone app last week and seem pretty cool for .99 cents...

Anyone use the sensors that its compatible with? Im wondering how well they actually work...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    I just use the free version but it works great. I'd like to hear about the sensors and whether they work myself. Doubt I'd ever use them but still curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i only use the version on my PC. it's pretty cool. yesterday i saved a ride and shared it on facebook so they could ooo and ahh at its epicness.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    i only use the version on my PC. it's pretty cool. yesterday i saved a ride and shared it on facebook so they could ooo and ahh at its epicness.
    I just share my rides with other riding buddies... I thought I was going to ooo and ahh my buds in the same manor but I dont feel like the altitude and speed readings area all very accurate. Seems to take both a very long time to register changes in data so the fast sharp climbs I do dont seem to match altitude changes accurately, same thing with fast drops. For example I know a few drops I hit 20+ mph on but speed registers at max of like 11mph... Kinda weird...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Since the latest update the calorie count and the max speed have been WAY off. There is a route I do regularly and my calorie count dropped by 1/3... they say next update will fix it. As for the speed, I have no idea whats wrong. I just know that there is a descent on a fire road where I spin out in my highest gear for about 1/2 mile and it says I only hit about 15mph.

When comparing to my Garmin Forerunner 305, the Garmin is much quicker and more sensitive, but the iphone app is good enough for casual use and more convenient.

Gng
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Always seems to get the speed wrong,average speed is always faster than my max speed,confused me first time I saw it but now I just use it for distance travelled.

mtbr member
    Yeah I use it find it pretty good for a buck!!!!

mtbr member
    I only have the free version, and its hardly worth that

I find its off by miles during trail rides

Road rides, the distance is accurate. The speed is always wrong. Every single time I ride it shows my average higher than my max speed. IE average speed is 15 mph but max speed is 11 mph....

mtbr member
    I have found good success with this free android app for a while until the latest update. It freezes at start up and I can't record a ride. Could be the phone, could be the app but when it is time to ride I want to ride and the app can wait.

Because of the freezing I downloaded strava to give that a try. I am not really impressed with it so far but want to get more time in to see if it works well. Seems that when you are in a spot that has good reception it works well but when in the woods and trying to start it has issues.

mtbr member
    Must be an android thing. I had the same issue with a different tracking app when I had my Galaxy. Since going back to the iPhone, issue has been gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Used this with an iPhone 3GS but I found the distance accuracy disappointing. It whiffs big time on tight Singletrack and shows me going off course. Now I just use a simple wired computer.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

:-D
    been using google tracks . it's prett.y good . I don't use it to share data or compete, just for my own reference
    data is usually accurate but sometimes is glitchy. once reported that I climbed 20,000 feet and had a maximum speed of 48 miles an hour.
    the actual mapping with google tracks is great.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have switched to Strava, recently competed in a 24 hr race which most people were using strava to track section of the trail and overall times, love seeing how i compare to the leader boards.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I used to use it but now use sports tracker, have got strava too but not played with it yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I use Runkeeper as its free and you can choose different activity types

Gng
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    tried Strava this morning,much better on it's first outing so I think I'll be sticking with it.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I use it for my road rides on the pc. The distance is accurate and I can tell how hilly it's going to be before I go out on the ride. I have never tried it for mountain biking.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It is not nearly as accurate as a garmin, mostly because it doesn't update as much as a garmin, your phone is doing a lot of other things besides the GPS functionality and it all drains the battery. That said for most stuff I do around town its pretty accurate on distance( within an 1/8 of mile compared to all my buddy's garmins androids and bike computers), elevation is a wash because I live in central florida (it notices parking garage climbs on urbans). the heart rate sensor is pretty good but can be finicky. Have not tried any of the bike specific sensors.

Suckin wind like a boss
    i use and have used, several of the phone-specific apps, with varying success. i think it is mainly because the gps antenna in the phone is subpar compared to dedicated handheld gps units, if for no other reason than the limitations of space in the handheld.

all of the apps worked, none really better than others. however, as the woodland canopy has filled in with the progression of spring into summer, reception has taken a dramatic hit, and accuracy as well because of it, enough so that i dont bother half the time anymore because i know itll be inaccurate.

mtbr member

Strava

Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Got this Iphone app last week and seem pretty cool for .99 cents...

Anyone use the sensors that its compatible with? Im wondering how well they actually work...
    I used to use MapMyRide but I use Strava now. It's free and they have cool challenges that you can participate in and win stuff if you do well and don't cheat. It's free, check it out and see what you think.

mtbr member
    This weekend I used an old backberry bold 9700. I was my wifes phone, but she upgraded it and we kept it to run pandora off the house wi-fi. It has data card, but not sim card. So no cell service.

I downloaded GPS logger II on it for free and used that and in the interal GPS in the phone to log my ride this weekend. I just put the phone in my camelbak and it use 20% battery for the 5 hrs I was out there. I can export it by plugging it in and can plug it in to Google maps. I like it to know where I have been. I don't need it to be perfectly accurate and I am not sure if it is or not. It was the right price (free)...
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zazzafrazz View Post
    been using google tracks . it's prett.y good . I don't use it to share data or compete, just for my own reference
    data is usually accurate but sometimes is glitchy. once reported that I climbed 20,000 feet and had a maximum speed of 48 miles an hour.
    the actual mapping with google tracks is great.
    Same here. I found mapmyride to be very inaccurate ( I have a Samsung Galaxy SII). So I track with google's "My Tracks" then upload the GPX file to mapmyride. Takes a little more work, but definitely worth it!

MapMyRide used to be one of the best options, but I think Strava has passed them by. MMR has its place as a training tool, which it does well with its training plans and things for the paid levels of service.

Strava has something with their segment competition tools, though. I don't use phone apps...I use a dedicated GPS and just upload my file where I like. There are SO MANY websites out there that let you upload/share GPS data, and so many of them have their own phone apps, too, that they need to differentiate themselves somehow. The first round of differentiation involved more advanced training tools. Now Strava has segment competition. Nobody else has that yet and it's fun competing on a segment to improve your time.

It used to be that folks just compared lap times from their cyclocomputer. Now you can program a whole lap as a Strava segment and you get a whole leaderboard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Works great for distance and tracking on my iPhone only thing that's not so great is avg speed and max speed

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What does everyone use as their bike tire size? My 26 x 2.0 isn't in the list it's only 26 x 1.95 / 26 x 2.10 / 26 x 2.125

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast