Classic weekend warrior

Anyone use the Garmin Forerunner 301??

I bought the Forerunner 301 a few years back for my wife (girlfriend at the time) because she was/is very active with running... and i'm a gadget geek so I tried turning her into one too.

Well, she used it maybe twice and its been sitting in my desk drawer. So I was about to throw it on E-bay and when searching for a price that I should sell it for, I came across the bike mount.... and thought....maybe I could use it...

I ordered a wireless Cateye that I want to leave on my bike basically for an overall mileage and time counter. Now I'm thinking of keeping the forerunner to use as a route tracker too... lol can never have too many gadgets

Just wondering if anyone has used this GPS for mountain biking and how it does in terms of tracking and getting you back to the parking lot. I don't really care about elevation...
    -09 GF X-Caliber
    -Carver Ti O'Beast
    -38Frameworks Jackalope (hers)

Scott in Tucson
    I use something very similar, the Foretrex 201 to track every day rides. Works well for me, but I do live in AZ where signal coverage is often very good.

The navigation features are pretty minimal on the 301, but it should at least show a schematic map that will allow you to 'track back' to where you started.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I have a 4-5 year old Forerunner 201...

...and I don't usually rely on for navigation. There is a "back to start" function when you mark your starting waypoint. It doesn't work that well when riding trails because the map screen is really too small. I do think it works in situations where you're lost, but it's inconvenient for everyday use.

What I like about it though is the ability to track your rides with garminconnect.com

A friend of mine uses one. He seems to be happy with it, but he's a multisport triathlon kinda guy, so the wristwatch style works well for him. He did wear it while we were on our last ride together. I dunno if he turned it on or anything.

mtbr member
    I have one, but it's more for logging your progress rather than alerting you which direction to take. With that said, it's great for training but the battery life isn't the best and the watch looks a little girly.