mtbr member

anyone try strava ?

I have been off the bike injured so I have not been able to try it out.
    Just wondering if anyone has tried it and thoughts on it. I been using Garmin Connect and wonder how this will compare.

http://strava.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shebagger
    I have been off the bike injured so I have not been able to try it out.
    Just wondering if anyone has tried it and thoughts on it. I been using Garmin Connect and wonder how this will compare.

http://strava.com/
    Do I have to register just to look around? Looks like it. Not going to register JUST to look around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    Do I have to register just to look around? Looks like it. Not going to register JUST to look around.
    only email addy., scaredy cat

No ads that I can see

It looks pretty cool, here is a screenshot from some random guys ride:

Quote Originally Posted by Shebagger
    only email addy., scaredy cat

No ads that I can see

It looks pretty cool, here is a screenshot from some random guys ride:
    I don't care what info they want. The fact that I can't even look without giving them something makes me think they're doing something with that information. That said, it doesn't look that much different from most services I've looked at based on the screenshot. A very simple site. TrimbleOutdoors is better for trip reports. Mapmyride is better for training.

trail rat

No good

Strava has nothing to offer that other sites have not done far better except virtual races against others. Virtual fantasy bicycle racing, if that gets you excited.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I recently tried Strava to track my rides. It is similar to sites like geoladders, etc., but it allows you to track individual segments, rather than just tracking one large loop. The program automatically identifies segments that have already been created, or you can create your own fully customizable segment. It then will compare your times on that individual segment to others on strava that have done that same segment. I admit, it does push you to improve your times. Furthermore, it may even push you on downhills to uncomfortable speeds to get the "King of the mountain" title. I think that it may not be for everyone, but i think its very cool. Plus, it works with my iphone and the free iphone app X-motion. Very simple to use and setup.
    Im not trying to endorse the product, i just want more people to use it so i can get some more friendly competition.

mtbr member
    I've been using it and really enjoy the friendly competition.

My local training ride is logged by myself and 1/2 dozen others. Another fellow and i have traded the "king of the mountain" title back and forth several times and it's been a LOT of fun vying to hold the spot!

I liked it enough to pay for a continuing subscription if that means anything to you...

-b