mtbr member
    May 2012

Anyone got an AIM Mytach??

I have an AIM Mytach which I have used for a number of years as a lap timer for motorcycle racing. It is small and works well as a MTB speedo and GPS data logger... It is just if I save multiple runs or rides the GPS data does not show up on the AIM Sports Agenda software. It can be saved and put into Google earth so the data is there.. So I was wondering if anyone has used this device and found any other software that the data can be shown through in full with altitudes and speeds not just the GPS map.

if it provides data for a map view, I'm assuming it will export your stuff into .gpx format? Or Google Earth (.kml/.kmz) format? Could you attach an output file to the forum (the forum can accept .gpx and .kmz files as uploads)?

The reason for that is that I want to take a look at what the data looks like when you talk about doing multiple runs or rides.

That is important because some software is very particular about the GPS data it can load, and it will freak out if your file reflects multiple start/stop locations and is more complex than just one continuous "track" of your travels (which would include only one start and end point).

If your device structures the file that way, there are a couple things you can do and they will depend on the software you're using. In the end, you would have to split each ride into a separate file.

I use a program called Topofusion that is flexible enough that it can handle many different types of data and can edit your data so other programs can make use of it. There is a free version you can try out. If you are new to manipulating GPS data (and uncomfortable with computers), though, it can be a little difficult to figure out what you need to do. Most mapping software is going to have a learning curve, though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I can export to Google earth and I have found Race Studio 2 will work with it but it needs a little bit of messing about with. The files are .drk files that hold all the data including G forces in each axis and speeds. It is just AIM stopped updating its Mytach firmware and software too and typical AIM it as some glitches. In RS2 it seems to work better.. I love the Mytach as it doubles up as my speedo and shows all I need plus I can use it on my race bike at the track for racing and test sessions as it will create laps too.

If you can get it to Google Earth, there's some way for you to at least get it to a .kml/.kmz. But based on your further explanation about what it does, I can see why you're having issues. Folks here work with devices that almost universally work natively in some variation of XML data (.gpx, .tcx, .fit, .kml/.kmz). Because of that, the software we use doesn't usually have problems unless the data varies from the standard way those devices record data (usually because the file was created on a computer using a program that's more flexible).

Once you get the data to Google Earth, try right clicking on it and clicking "Save Place As...", choosing .kmz, and then posting your result here.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    If you can get it to Google Earth, there's some way for you to at least get it to a .kml/.kmz. But based on your further explanation about what it does, I can see why you're having issues. Folks here work with devices that almost universally work natively in some variation of XML data (.gpx, .tcx, .fit, .kml/.kmz). Because of that, the software we use doesn't usually have problems unless the data varies from the standard way those devices record data (usually because the file was created on a computer using a program that's more flexible).

Once you get the data to Google Earth, try right clicking on it and clicking "Save Place As...", choosing .kmz, and then posting your result here.
    In the AIM software I can get results like this.Anyone got an AIM Mytach??-cannock-november.jpg

BUT there are times the mapping does appear but there is not speed data trace or sometimes the opposite with no mapping but there is data traces. I can save as a .tcx and look at the mapping but not any speed data

Anyone got an AIM Mytach??-cannock-november-gps.jpg

Can you attach a .kmz directly to your post so I can download it and view it? Click "Go Advanced" and the "Upload Image" option at the bottom will allow you to upload a .kmz.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sherwood.kmz

Did this work???

The file worked. I got it to load on my computer, and all I'm getting, also, is the location information. There is no timing information in the file, which is necessary to compute speed at any given moment.

I've not heard of the device you have before, so I'm not sure you're going to get much help beyond what I'm able to offer. I wanted to see if there might have been a problem with the way your software is displaying the data. One of two things is happening here. Either your program is stripping the time and other data from the file, or your device is not recording or saving that information in the first place (and is only saving the location data).

With the proprietary data format, your options may be limited at best with this device. Your best option may be to replace it with a device that uses a more standard, open format like I described above.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post

I've not heard of the device you have before, so I'm not sure you're going to get much help beyond what I'm able to offer. I wanted to see if there might have been a problem with the way your software is displaying the data. One of two things is happening here. Either your program is stripping the time and other data from the file, or your device is not recording or saving that information in the first place (and is only saving the location data).
    Here is an image of the Mytach.
    Anyone got an AIM Mytach??-mytach_2132_detail.jpg

Here is the data file from the device if it works.... This data is from Sundays ride not the Sherwood Forest ride.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6igw21tie3...123912_001.gpk

The original software is not available to down load now. But it works with Race Studio 2 I found out today.. It is designed for motor sport but will work.
    AiM Sports - The World Leader in Data Acquisition

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The device is great in principle for me.. it is small it does lap timing at a higher Hz rate for motorcycle stuff and only saves the data I need for the on track stuff. I dont need altitude ect I just need speed and lap times plus mapping to check racing lines and corner speeds ect. But then on the MTB I want something I can us as a speedo that does all the usual stuff like speed, altitude and accent/decent as well as mapping. It is just a shame AIM seem to flit from one product to another and never really iron out software bugs fully with updates almost constantly happening to fix one bug or another. The only other device they do which is close and actually better for the motorcycle stuff is the Solo.

http://www.aimsports.com/software/do...lo_100_eng.pdf

But it may be too large and store the wrong data or not really be suitable for the Mountain bike too... shame really. I love the Mytach I just dont like the software being full of glitches. If RS2 works OK and I can spend a little time working on that I am happy again. Well.. Until the battery dies and I need to find a new device.... lol