Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anybody with Edge 510 Experience?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  heyyall 
#1 ·
I've looked at some of the reviews for the unit, but I haven't seen much in the way of trails experience. Has anybody gotten their hands on a 510? If so, does it work well with tight singletrack? My iphone is completely unusable on my local trial.

#2 · (Edited)
The 510 was just announced last week at CES. GPS City doesn't expect them in until Feb 12.

There may be a few with hands on experience (eg the Garmin Team in the videos), but I doubt many of the real world tester/reviewers have it yet.

I think you'll have to wait until March to get a in depth review.

Unboxing/first look reviews will show up mid February.

[edit] Guess I was wrong about that. DC Rainmaker has a reasonably in-depth review of it. He's had a unit for testing for a while before it was announced. His review is at Garmin Edge 510 In-Depth Review. He's also had the 810 for testing.

#4 ·
Likes: The GLONAS is interesting. I like the tie in with the iPhone. The profile setup with different data screens will be great. I don't really want a full mapping system.

I have looked at other garmin models. The 510 looks like it has everything I need / want. It just needs to work on tight trails.

#5 ·
I think compatibility with multiple sat systems is the way to go at this point for improved reception. I'm not seeing any other recent developments in consumer GPS tech that will improve accuracy in any meaningful way. I am very disappointed that GLONASS compatibility didn't wind up in the 810.

But yeah, it's too early to get very many real-life use reviews. Not available to the general public yet.

#6 ·
So I've been mentally gearing up for the big release. I've created a garmin connect account and have moved some of my runkeeper / iphone events over to the garmin site. On a whim, I checked availability of the 510 in garmin's online store and they are reporting ~8 weeks. That is a bummer for sure. I was planning on using my REI rebate to offset the cost, but the timing may not work out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.